Traverse City Walks To School Day
Traverse City Walks To School Day is a community-wide, multi-school celebration of National Walk To School Day on Wednesday, October 7th. Norte! is dreaming big to encourage more TC students to walk to school then ever before.
We will also be crowing The Most Walk-tastic Traverse City School! That’s a big, big deal.
Don’t get us wrong, we LOVE bikes but sometimes we enjoy a nice walk to school too:
Walking to school is known to improve academic performance.
Walking to school gives children good life experience.
Walking to school gets children outdoors.
Walking to school provides daily exercise for children.
The US Surgeon General, Dr. Vivek Murthy, just made a call for more walkable communities for people of all ages. Read more about his call to action HERE.
So set those alarms a little earlier on October 7th, eat a solid breakfast, invite a friend or 6, strap your backpack on and join us as Traverse City Walks To School Day. Make sure to take some photos and post using #WalkTVC.
TCAPS Montessory @ Glenn Loomis
Don’t see your school? Sign it up HERE.
For those kids too young to walk on their own, Norte! will be transforming our community-wide network of bike trains into “walking school buses” for the day to connect our neighborhoods to our neighborhood elementary schools:
- 12th/Maple: Mr. Clark’s house: Meet at 7:50, walking at 8:00
- 10th/Lake: Oryana:: Meet at 7:40, walking at 7:50
- Arbutus Court Park (map HERE) : Meet at 8:00, walking at 8:10
- Civic Center: Front of Howe arena: Meet at 8:20, walking at 8:30
- Clancy Park: Meet at 8:25, walking at 8:35
- Corner of Highland/Cherry Lane: Mrs. Stahl’s house: at 8:25, walking at 8:35
- East Bay Park: Meet at 8:20, walking at 8:30
- 6th/Maple: Mrs. Arnold’s house: Meet at 7:30, walking at 7:40
- 10th/Lake: Oryana: Meet at 7:30, walking at 7:40
- Darrow Park: Meet at 8:10, walking at 8:15
Our friends at Oryana will be generously providing healthy snacks at their “bus stop” for TCAPS Montessori and Central Grade students.
The Traverse City Police Department will also be walking to school with us. How awesome is that?
AND…our friends at TART Trails have donated a bunch of clip-on flashers for backpacks to keep the kids seen and safe.
We are looking for extra volunteers to help keep the kids safe, count walkers at school and hand out highfives. Please sign up HERE.