Traverse Heights Elementary: Northern Michigan’s 2018 Most Walk-tastic School
Led by their amazing principal, Mr. Schrock, and many, many dedicated teachers, Traverse Heights Elementary rocked Northern Michigan Walks To School Day.
With a strategy combining kids walking from home, parents driving to then walk with their child and school buses dropping off students several blocks away from school, nearly the entire Traverse Heights population took the awesome way to class on a beautiful Northern Michigan morning.
Congratulations, Traverse Heights, on being the 2018 Most Walk-tastic School in Northern Michigan!
- 301 Elks from Cherryland Middle School in Elk Rapids who walked the track before class
- Old Mission Peninsula School with 127 walking from Island View Road
- Courtade Elementary with 208 students and teachers walking the track
- Eastern Elementary with 171
- Central Grade with 53
- TCAPS Montessori with 47
- Westwoods with 42
- Willow Hill with 40
- Silver Lake Elementary with 35
- Holy Angels with 33
- Lakeland Elementary with 31
- Woodland School with 26
- Long Lake Elementary with 17
- Northport Public School with 16
- Trinity Lutheran with 11
- West Middle with 7
- Immaculate Conception with 2
- East Middle with 1
- St. Elizabeth Ann Seton with 1
- Teddy Bear Preschool with 1
- Munson Medical Center Preschool with 1
- Oak Park Preschool with 1
Special thank yous to our Walk Day sponsors:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
- TBA Credit Union
- Traverse City Track Club
- Safe Routes To School Michigan
And our community partners:
- Traverse City Police Department
- Elk Rapids Police Department
- Grand Traverse Sherrif Office
- Michigan State Police
Thanks to 7&4’s Savannah Fish for getting up early, as well.
Lots of walk to school day photos HERE.
Very amateur live video from Oryana’s bus stop HERE.
Have more photos or videos? Please share!
Learn more and get involved with our area-wide Safe Routes To School initiative HERE.