Pro Walk/Pro Bike Traverse City: The 2018 Best Of List
2018 was an incredible year for a healthier, better connected, and more walk/bike (and transit – Go, BATA!) friendly Traverse City.
Big thanks to our partners at the City of TC, Grand Traverse County, BATA, DDA, TC Parking Services, DTCA, and TART Trails.
Here are 23 awesome things we can all be proud of:
- $4.5M sidewalk bond approved for 9.16 miles of new sidewalk primarily in the Traverse Heights neighborhood (East Front and South Garfield will also benefit)
- $2M Safe Routes To School featuring 4.9 miles of walk/bike improvements around 10 TC schools was conditionally approved by MDOT
- 11,616 linear feet or 2.2 miles of sidewalk rated poor and very poor west of Boardman Ave was replaced
- City Commission approved a resolution supporting a Stop for Pedestrians State Law
- Permanent installation of the 7th St contraflow bike lane
- BATA launched the Bayline, a free transit service running East and West. The program was financially supported TC Parking Services, The DDA, the DTCA, Munson, National Cherry Festival, Traverse City Film Festival, and TC Tourism
- Grand Traverse County launches an employee bike share program
- Several driveways that crossed sidewalks were eliminated including include three on East Front Street (US31) and one on Eighth Street
- Oryana installed a bike fix-it station at the Boardman Lake Trailhead
- Curb-Extension for traffic calming at Monroe and Bay Street
- Planters on W. Front added this fall for traffic calming and gateway features
- New shelter and bike fix-it station installed on East Front Street thanks to TC Parking Services
- Peninsula Drive narrowed thanks to a new bike lane
- The DDA invested $486,000 for Boardman Riverwalk Phase 1 Project for riverwalk boardwalk between Union Street and W. Front Street. A new riverwalk will be constructed, the old wood structure by Union Street bridge replaced and an ADA access will be installed at Lot E
- Norte opens the Wheelhouse, a new learning center at the Civic Center
- The City invested $161,000 for improvements at Clancy Park including bike racks, accessible playground equipment, pathways, shelter, benches, and other amenities
- New Lake Ave sidewalks and raised crosswalks at Lake and Cass (but still need improvement as they are impeded by utility poles and lighting)
- Lake Ave bike racks provided by TC Parking Services.
- Norte’s bike valet operations at the Farmer’s Market provided by TC Parking Services and Taste The Local Difference
- Boardman Lake Loop fundraising, design and engineering will be complete in 2018 with planned construction beginning in 2019
- Traverse City Parking Services launched Destination Downtown, a program where parking funds are utilized to purchase commuter bus passes for employees within the DDA District
- Traverse City Parking Services added to on-street bike rack inventory, adding a rack at State Street Marketplace and The Dish
- Enhancing the walking experience, the DTCA installed a public art piece of wings on the 300 block of E. Front Street and the DDA facilitated through a donation from John Socks hearts on the public restrooms on Park St., a tribute to the heart wall the was once on the 200 block of E. Front St.
Did we forget something? Let us know!
Passionate about a more walkable, bikeable, liveable Traverse City? Get involved: