Happy. Healthy. Strong: How Norte Did in 2018
Thanks to many, many awesome people, community partners, and sponsors, 2018 rocked for Team Orange.
Here’s the highlight reel:
- Graduated our first class from the Traverse City Advocate Academy, a community-driven program aimed at empowering grassroots leaders throughout Traverse City to be effective advocates for policies and infrastructure that encourages active transportation. Plans to expand County-wide in 2019
- Advocated for a $4.5M sidewalk bond that was approved for 9.16 miles of new sidewalk primarily in the Traverse Heights neighborhood (East Front and South Garfield will also benefit)
- Partnered with the City of Traverse City on a multischool $2 million infrastructure grant which has been conditionally approved for nearly 5 miles on walk/bike infrastructure around 10 schools. Norte to administer the grant’s educational/encouragement programs
- Hired a part-time Outreach Director
- El Liderato, our youth leadership council, grew to 20 stellar middle and high school students representing 9 area schools
- Teamed up with many partners including Munson Medical Center on Winter Walk Wednesdays, a community-wide celebration of people – big and small – walking to work, school or just for fun in Northern Michigan
- Launched The Northport Strong Project with a local project team
- Launched The Elk Rapids Strong Project with a local project team
- The Grand Traverse Youth Mountain Bike team exploded to 300 families
- Received a Michigan Department of Health and Human Services’ Hometown Health Hero award
- Nearly 1100 kids across the region took the awesome way to class for Northern Michigan Walks To School Day
- Nominated for Extraordinary Organization of The Year by the Michigan Fitness Foundation
- Estrellas, our learn to ride program for preschoolers using balance bikes, expanded to 15 schools and twice weekly summertime meet-ups at the Clubhouse to reach 600+ kids
- The Grand Traverse Pro Walk/Pro Bike Advocacy group grew to 160+ members
- The Bike Mas Project, our adventure-based bike safety program for elementary and middle school students, expanded to 17 area schools including all TCAPS elementary and middle schools and many area charter and private schools
- Launched the Amigos, an empowerment program for kids with special needs, as a pilot at Oak Park with their students with autism. This grew into a weekly summertime meet-up and then grew again this fall thanks to a partnership with TBAISD’s Life Skill Center
- Transformed a long-forgotten building at the Civic Center into the Norte Wheelhouse, a new learning center
- Presented on engaging youth at the Michigan Mountain Bike Association summit
- Our co-founder received the Michigan Governor’s Fitness Champion for Health award
- The Traverse City Summer Bike Camp expanded to 18 sessions and sells out with 170+ kids
- Hired a part-time Clubhouse Manager
- Presented at the Northwest Michigan Chronic Disease Prevention Coalition’s Summit
- Both the spring and fall after-school mountain bike program for elementary, middle and high school students sold out with 130+ kids
Please help us keep it rolling by making a donation.
Become a monthly donor and join El Colectivo, a group of awesome people dedicated to happier, healthier, and stronger communities.
What to support a specific Norte program or project? Check out our current needs HERE.