Grand Traverse Region Safe Routes To School: A Winter Update
Kids learning to move and be physically active as part of ordinary life – like going to school! – and then inspiring their parents, teachers, principals, neighbors, community to do the same is, in our opinion, a powerful means to sustainable well-living and healthfulness.
Independent, happy, confident, ready to learn youth are empowered to be guardians of their health, develop lifelong habits to move more and sit less and be leaders in their community.
Norte administers Safe Routes To School programs across the Traverse City area as well as in Northport and Elk Rapids. Our programs, projects, and events are dedicated to empowering students of all ages to be active for life.
- Traverse City’s $2M in town school infrastructure grant has been conditionally approved. Hopefully finalized soon.
- Thanks to a Rotary Charities grant, we’re convening a systems planning process with the partners who were involved with this grant to investigate the big picture effect of policy on active transportation, physical activity, health, and safety. Stay tuned for information on a public presentation in April.
- Winter Walk Wednesdays start January 9th! Be about it.
- Long Lake township is on track for a June infrastructure grant application for Long Lake and Westwoods.
- East Bay township is waiting on the Road Commission’s East-West Mobility study to figure out what’s next for 3 Mile/improvements around East Middle and Cherry Knoll, GTA and SEAS.
- We also just received a state-wide award for safety from the Governor’s Traffic Safety Advisory Commission. Very exciting! This is for all of our partners, parents, and volunteers who support the infrastructure, programs, policy, culture, and systems that allow kids to be active as part of ordinary life – like walking/biking to school.
- Estrellas, our learn to ride program for preschoolers using balance bikes, is HOT! We’ll be at Long Lake, Silver Lake, Mill Creek, and Willow Hill in January with many more schools planned throughout the winter and spring.
- Registration for The Bike Mas Project, our after-school, adventure-based bike safety program, opens January 7th. More info HERE.