What’s Happening at Norte? Lots!
This year, we’ll continue to empower the young and young at heart to be changemakers and support the programs, infrastructure, policies, systems and culture related to walking, biking and other forms of active transportation to help communities be their best – their healthiest.
What we’re up to this winter:
- Planning for a $2M Safe Routes To School (SRTS) grant which features nearly 5 miles of walk/bike improvements around the 10 in town schools that has been conditionally approved by MDOT.
- Convening a systems practice analysis of policies with our SRTS partners.
- Expanding the successful Pro Walk/Pro Bike Advocacy Academy to all Grand Traverse County residents.
- Preparing the new Wheelhouse at the Civic Center to grow our programs – Amigos, Solution, after-school mountain bike, The Bike Mas Project, Estrellas, and the Traverse City Summer Bike Camp – this spring and summer.
- Exploring opportunities to bring Norte to other communities in the 5 county area.
- Standing up for a more walk/bike friendly Grand Traverse region – like sidewalks in Traverse Heights, a better Barlow Street, extending the 3 Mile trail, better connections around Long Lake and Wetwoods Elementary schools and a revisioned 8th Street – via our grassroots advocacy group.
We need more awesome people including sponsors, volunteers, influencers and connectors who are passionate about happy, healthy, strong communities and active-for-life kids to get involved.