A Wishlist to Help Norte Launch a New Bike Mechanics Program at Traverse City Area Middle Schools
The Solution in School is part of Norte’s broader community-wide bike mechanics education initiative dedicated to empowering people of all ages and abilities to learn the skills that help promote self-assurance, confidence, creativity and lifelong bike independence. We believe that understanding basic bicycle maintenance and repair is a lifelong skill that gives the young and young at heart the knowledge and confidence to ride more, venture further and embrace a happy, healthy lifestyle.
This pilot program teaches 6th-8th graders basic bike repair skills in an engaging, hands-on manner. It will also do good in the community as students will be working on Norte’s Bike Library bicycles, which will be loaned out to local kids in need.
The Solution in School is going to launch this spring. If you have any of these tools collecting dust in your garage, please consider donating them. We promise to put them to very good use.
- Gently used 20″ and 24″ youth mountain bikes with handbrakes and gears. No big box store bikes, please and thank you.
- Metric allen keys: 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm
- #2 phillips screwdriver
- Straight slot screwdriver
- Metric box wrenches: 8mm, 9mm, 10mm, 13mm, 15mm, 17mm
- 12″ adjustable wrench
- Needle nose pliers
- Bicycle work stands
- Chain breaking tools
- Cone wrenches 13mm-19mm
- Headset wrenches 32mm/36mm
- 15mm pedal wrench (Park Tool PW-5, for example)
- Curve jaw channel lock pliers (headsets)
- Spoke wrenches
- Crank pullers for square taper spindles (park tool example)
- Freewheel removal tools
- Cassette lockring tools
- Chain whips
- Bottom bracket wrench (HCW-4)
- Bottom bracket lockring wrenches (Park HCW-5)
- 20 pin bottom bracket tools (BBT-22)
- Diagonal cutters
- Cable/housing cutters
Questions? Get at us.