Outside Still Not Canceled: A Refreshed 20 Mile Family Walk Challenge Continues With Stretch Goals, School Competition and More Kindness
With in-person school canceled and being active as a family unit more critical than ever, the 20 Mile Family Walk Challenge – inspired Mark Wilson’s very successful 100 Mile Walk – aims to raise awareness for happy, healthy, strong families during these uncertain times.
HOW IT WORKS
- Commit – Complete the form below. If you’re taking part in our virtual “School Competition” – area elementary schools competing in a not so serious way – please select that option.
- Sign up – Join the 20 Mile Walk Club HERE to track your progress (Strava is a free mobile fitness tracking app).
- Walk – Outside where you are, when you can with your family at least 1 mile a day for 20 days.
- Be Kind – Commit to spreading kindness at least once. Think: sidewalk or driveway chalk art, picking up trash, delivering a positive letter to a friend or neighbor etc. Get creative!
- Celebrate – Because outside isn’t canceled, let’s celebrate the outdoors by walking at least one mile per day with our families. BONUS! Our friends at Moomer’s Homemade Ice Cream will provide a $5 gift certificate to every family who completes the challenge. Side note: have you tried Norte’s custom Moomer’s ice cream, OrangeCycle, yet? It’s deeeeelicious.
For those of you awesome folks who started this challenge in March and have already made it to 20 miles, let’s keep it going through April, OK?! You have two stretch goal options from which to choose:
- Orange Challenge – 2 miles a day through April for a total of 68 miles
- Blue Challenge – 1 mile a day through April for a total of 44 miles
Let us know which one you’re doing by posting your favorite photo from the original challenge with “Orange” or “Blue” to your favorite social media channel and tag Norte.
HELPFUL THINGS TO KNOW
- The 20 Mile Walk is both free and awesome. Physical distancing is a better term than social distancing. Explore your neighborhood or a trail in the woods with those closest to you, but responsibly at least 6 feet apart from other folks.
- If you don’t have Strava on your phone, download the app, create an account, search for the “20 Mile Walk” club, and then join it. Each time you head out for a walk, hit start in the app and stop when you finish. Super easy. [If you forget, or don’t enough data to keep it on the whole time you’re out, you can also manually log your activity at a later point. Check out this Strava how-to.]
- We want everyone to avoid cabin fever, so only outside walks count for the challenge. Sorry, treadmills.
COMMIT TO THE 20 MILE WALK
Stay Home. Stay Safe. Stay Active, Responsibly.
When you do have to leave home, please follow these preventive measures for viruses by public health officials.
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for 20 seconds. If not unavailable, use hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or upper sleeve when coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- If you are sick, stay home and avoid contact with others.
- Stay at least six feet away from others when in a public setting.
- Replace handshakes and high-fives with a friendly wave from at least six feet away.
Visit the Michigan.gov/Coronavirus for the latest statewide updates.