Program and Education Director
Norte is seeking a PROGRAM AND EDUCATION DIRECTOR to join Team Orange. The ideal candidate will be passionate about happy, healthy, strong communities and active-for-life kids.
The Program and Education Director directs and creates a range of programming activities that further Norte’s mission. They organize, implement, and evaluate Norte’s core programs, including developing and refining Norte’s curriculum. This position requires a genuine enthusiasm for Norte’s work and a passion for seeing youth grow and succeed. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are essential to effectively interact with and build trust and confidence among our members and supporters.
- Reports to: Interim Executive Director
- Supervises: Program Coordinator, the Volunteer and Outreach Coordinator, and seasonal staff, namely coaches
This position is a Leadership Team position, working closely with operations, communications, and development team directors. In addition, this position will strengthen external relationships with community members, such as partners, donors, volunteers, and the general public.
- Oversee coordination, implementation, evaluation, and sustainability of Norte’s core educational programs. These include Summer Bike Camp, Adventure Bike Club, the Northern Michigan Youth Mountain Bike Team, Bikes For All, Estrellas (in-school balance bike programs), and Solutions (bike mechanic courses).
- Foster and develop patron relations with an eye on program retention, recruitment, and organizational engagement (i.e., students, volunteers, donors, seasonal staff).
- Manage the hiring and training process for seasonal staff necessary to run Norte programming successfully.
- Evaluate all programming to set short and long-term goals, helping to create impact sustainability standards to support the organization’s brand, and to attract grants and funding.
- Lead the Program Team with a focus on retaining and attracting essential employees.
- Conduct and document quarterly and annual reviews with those who directly report to the Program And Education Director.
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE
We measure success at Norte by first recognizing that success is a team effort. To achieve this, we work to develop a sense of belonging, acceptance, and support.
The Program and Education Director will succeed if their communication is clear, concise, and professional. They follow, develop, and improve systems and procedures, building and running programming that advances Norte’s vision of happy, healthy, strong communities.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
Norte requires at least five years of relevant experience and a bachelor’s degree, preferably in education, non-profit management, or a related field. Additionally, the right candidate will have at least a year of experience supervising others.
- Desire to learn and grow professionally
- Exhibit a passion for active living
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Extremely detail-oriented with solid organization skills
- Exhibit excellent time management skills with an ability to meet deadlines and strategic objectives
- Excel at working individually and as part of a team
- Practical problem-solving and project management skills
- Proficient with standard office software (i.e., Google Suite Drive) and ideally, experience in customer relationship management (CRM) tools
The Program and Education Director also needs to work flexible hours, including occasional evenings and weekends.
The Program and Education Director is a full-time FLSA-exempt position with a starting annual salary of $56,000.
- Benefits: Medical, paid vacation, paid holidays, technology stipend, flexible work schedule.
- Hours: M-F during the day plus occasional work on weeknights and weekends.
A TYPICAL DAY AT NORTE
On a typical day, the Program and Education Director will work with core and seasonal staff in Norte’s business casual environment at the Clubhouse and Wheelhouse in Grand Traverse County Civic Center Park and work remotely as necessary. In addition, site visits outside of the Civic Center at regional trailheads, local schools, and with community partners are expected.
There are two steps to apply:
- Submit a cover letter and a resume in PDF form to email@example.com with “Program and Education Director” in the subject line.
- Submit an online job application at elgruponorte.org/jobs/application
Applications will be accepted until Sunday, October 3, at midnight eastern standard time.
The ideal candidate would start employment in late October to early November 2021.
Norte is an equal opportunity and an at-will employer. The above position description describes the position currently available and is not intended to be an employment contract. Norte reserves the right to modify the duties or position description at any time. This position is located in Traverse City and is considered to be exempt.
Download the above description in a PDF.
# # #
Happy. Healthy. Strong.