24 Hours at the Civic Center
***5/19/2019 morning UPDATE***
Awesome people like Karen and David Hilt, Paul Bunn and Rachel and Brennan Sang are out riding despite the cold rain!
Let’s show them some love by pledging below to help reach our stretch goal of $7,000.
***5/18/2019 evening UPDATE***
While we’re bummed to have to cut things short due to the weather, we’re so very grateful to the 80+ riders, 23 dedicated volunteers – including our amazing #24HCC planning committee (I’m looking at you, Amanda DeBruyn, Erin Doherty, Jamie Burley, and Michelle Chouinard!), 114 very, very generous donors and 29 corporate sponsors who made this fundraiser a success.
Together, we raised $6,241 for Norte’s work and improvements to the Civic Center. Amazing. Thank you.
If you were scheduled to ride tonight or tomorrow morning (forecast looks awful!), you’re off the hook. Please consider riding when you can/where you can in support of happy, healthy, strong kids.
Thanks again and keep awesome.
PS. We still have some prizes to give away including our grand prize so be on the lookout for another update on Monday where we’ll announce the winners.
*** 5/18/19 morning UPDATE****
Weather looks decent for this afternoon.
Less good this evening/overnight with thunderstorms and steady rain predicted.
Tomorrow morning also not looking great at the moment but who knows.
If you’re signed up for a slot this afternoon, please come and ride. We have MANY incredible prizes!
If you’re signed up for tonight, you’re off the hook – we’ve canceled the beer garden Swing by this afternoon before the rain comes if you can.
We also had to pull the plug on all the games and concerts planned due to safety concerns. Bummer!
We’ll take a wait and see approach for tomorrow.
Good news is, we’re getting close to our fundraising goal! See below. Thank you for supporting Norte’s work and a better Civic Center.
Let’s keep it rolling!
24 Hours at the Civic Center
Together we’re better. Let’s ride bikes for more happy, healthy, strong kids and a better Civic Center.
In partnership with our friends at Grand Traverse County and Hagerty, Norte is stoked to host the inaugural 24 Hours at the Civic Center, a fun, family-friendly, community bike-a-thon fundraiser.
Its aim is to create awareness for the growing presence of people of all ages and abilities on bicycles getting themselves to the places they need to go while also raising friends and funds for Norte’s youth programs and improvements to the Civic Center Park.
- Norte is dreaming big to empower more (lots more!) kids – and those who love them – to be active for life and this work relies on donations from people like you. We also love calling the Civic Center home and want to help make this park even better. 100% of 24HCC donations will go to help make improvements at the Civic Center and fund scholarships so kids in need can still participate in our programs. Every contribution – big or small – makes a difference.
- Starts at noon on Saturday, May 18th and ends noon on Sunday, May 19th.
- Norte Wheelhouse at the Grand Traverse Civic Center.
How it works:
- Register. Signing up is free. Click HERE to register for a short – like just 15 minutes short! – but sweet slot.
- Fundraise by collecting pledges. Share this link with your friends and family and tell them why you are supporting Norte and the Civic Center. Make it personal to make it powerful.
- Ride. Celebrate your fundraising success ($50 is the suggested minimum) by riding your bicycle around the Civic Center path with other awesome people. All riders will be entered into the super awesome prize raffle thanks to our generous 24HCC sponsors. No bike? No problem. We’ll have a bunch to borrow.
- Celebrate. Join us at the Wheelhouse for a fun, community party all day featuring eats, drinks, music, and games. This party is both very free and very open to the public. The Beer Garden (6-10pm on Saturday) is not public, however. You must be on the rider, donor or volunteer list to enter.
Saturday Noon – Riding starts and free community party featuring Leelanau Sound spinning tunes, arts, crafts, bike bracelets, games, inflatables, smoothie bike, GoGo squeeZ, face paint, chalk art, photo booth, and activities by TADL, Hagerty, and Professor Qwibli opens
1-3pm – Pin Making with My Secret Stash
2pm – “Best in Show” contest p/b Hagerty
4pm – Betty’s Hot Dish Food Truck opens
6pm – Beer Garden p/b Rare Bird, Filling Station, Silver Spruce, and Workshop opens – must be on the rider or donor list to enter – and the band SALT starts
10pm – Beer Garden closes. Quiet time. Ssshhhhhh
7am – Rise n’ Shine Breakfast Outside opens with Higher Grounds coffee and breakfast burritos by Betty’s
10am – Miriam Pico concert
11:30am – Unclaimed prizes will be re-raffled off along with the Grand prize
Sunday Noon – Riding finishes
12:15 – Roll to the NMC BBQ!
Helpful things to know:
- All ages and abilities are welcome to ride. The Civic Center path is mostly flat but does feature one hill so be prepared to go up and down some. Don’t forget, we’ll have lots of bikes to borrow if bringing yours is a hassle.
- This is not a race. Far from it. Speed and number of laps isn’t the objective. Leave the spandex at home too. 24HCC is all about fun. And high-fives.
- Slots are every 15 minutes Saturday afternoon/early evening (noon-9pm) and Sunday morning (9am-noon). Late Saturday night and early Sunday morning (9pm-9am) are 1 hour slots. More rider info HERE.
- Families and groups of friends can ride together but there is a max of 4 people per slot.
- More info on how the prizes work HERE
- The path will be open to the public during the event. Please be kind and courteous to other users.
- The Beer Garden is 21+ only and you must be on the list of riders, donors or volunteers to get in.
- Late night and early morning slots are for adults only.
Don’t want to ride but want to support? Please donate HERE. Every donation – big or small – gets into the Saturday night beer garden.
Know a business that might want to sponsor 24HCC by donating a prize? Email Ty at email@example.com
Questions? Get at us.