Adventure Bike Club Coach
NORTE IS HIRING
Norte is seeking Adventure Bike Club Coaches to join Team Orange this spring. The ideal candidate will be passionate about happy, healthy, strong communities, and active-for-life kids. This position is seasonal and will report to Norte’s Program Director.
Adventure Bike Club Coaches run Norte’s seasonal bike safety and adventure program across the Grand Traverse region. This position requires a genuine enthusiasm for Norte’s mission and a passion for helping youth grow and succeed.
Reports to: Program Director
Coaches work with the rest of Norte’s remarkable team, which includes full-time, part-time, and seasonal staff, and the board of directors. This position will develop and strengthen external relationships with community members, such as partners, donors, volunteers, and the general public—chief among them being our young riders’ parents.
- Lead Norte’s seasonal Adventure Bike Club program as detailed in the Coach’s Manual.
- Come to work ready to model happy, healthy, strong to our young riders in the 4th-7th grade
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE
- The kids are kept safe at all times.
- The kids have fun while exploring and learning bike safety skills.
- Responsibilities and tasks are completed on time and thoroughly.
- Written communication is clear, concise, professional, and free from error.
- Systems and procedures are adhered to, and ways to improve then pursued when appropriate.
- Recognition that our work is a team effort. We work to develop a sense of belonging, acceptance, and support.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Exhibit a passion for bicycles and professionalism, with superior social skills and an ability to engage, encourage, and communicate with youth participants and their families.
- Demonstrate experienced cycling skills and be knowledgeable about urban riding skills, local bike routes, and basic bicycle repair.
- Practical and effective problem-solving skills and creativity to make any situation a fun learning experience.
- The desire to learn and grow professionally.
- Frequently ride 5-7 miles on streets and trails.
- Ability to lift 30 pounds.
The Adventure Bike Club Coach is a part-time, temporary (four months or less) position exempt from the minimum wage and overtime requirements. Wage is paid $20/hour which includes training time. Coaches are also paid a $10/pay period phone stipend.
Bike Club sessions are 1x/week x 4 weeks and start the second week of May in the Spring and 3rd week of September in the fall.
Direct deposit payments will be made every two weeks.
- Your kids and grandkids get into the program at a 20% discount
- Paid training
- Phone stipend
- 20% off Norte merchandise and used bikes
Hours: varies; Bike Club typically meets right after school and sessions are 90 minutes.
A typical afternoon consists of riding bikes with your team of 8 kids and a volunteer assistant coach who rides sweep. You’ll help your group of young riders have fun and learn bike safety skills while finding adventure in several communities.
Norte currently offers Bike Club in the Traverse City area, Northport, Elk Rapids, Kalkaska and Suttons Bay.
HOW TO APPLY
- Complete this job application form.
- Submit your resume to email@example.com with “Bike Club Coach” in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until positions are filled.
Norte is an equal opportunity and an at-will employer. The above position description describes the position currently available and is not intended to be an employment contract. Norte reserves the right to modify the duties or position description at any time. This position is located in either the Traverse City area, Northport, Kalkaska, Elk Rapids or Suttons Bay and is considered to be non-exempt.