BECOME A PRO WALK/PRO BIKE ADVOCATE
While Norte! is committed to building a stronger, better connected and more bike (and walk!) friendly Traverse City full time, we are only one piece of the puzzle. In order to see our Vision through, we need YOUR voice. We need YOU to advocate for safe, convenient and accessible opportunities. We need YOU to champion biking, walking and rolling year round. We need YOU to take action.
WAYS TO TAKE ACTION
1. GET INVOLVED WITH OUR ADVOCACY GRUPO
- Norte! believes that people of all ages and abilities in Traverse City have the right to safely access schools, parks, neighborhoods, beaches, businesses, and public transit by bike or foot. Let us know what is important to you and how to better engage, empower and energize others. Together, we will push for best practice walk/bike infrastructure, forward thinking policy and smart community design for a more walkable, bikeable, livable Traverse City.
2. JOIN THE CONVERSATION
3. CONTACT DECISION MAKERS
Do you value complete streets and traffic calming in your neighborhood? Should non-motorized forms of transportation be given a higher priority on our local streets and roads? Do you value neighborhood design that includes a robust network of safe and dedicated bike and pedestrian infrastructure that connects to all of the local destinations that you would like to visit? Do you support a strong Active Transportation Plan and “Vision Zero” initiatives that aim to eliminate roadway deaths?
If you answered “YES!” to any of the above questions, you must let your elected officials know. While our local leaders are brilliant people, they are not mind readers. If you value a community that is walkable, bikeable and rollable for everyone…then YOU must demand it!
Also, don’t forget to thank our local leaders for a job well done! If you see a particular program or policy that has helped make TC more bike/walk friendly, let them know. Too often they only hear complaints and requests, but it is very important to recognize all the good work that is being done, too!
- Email the City Manager, Mary Colburn: email@example.com
- Email the City Commissioner: CityCommissioners@traversecitymi.gov
- Email the Planning Commission: PlanningCommission@traversecitymi.gov
- Email the Planning Director, Russ Soyring: firstname.lastname@example.org
Live outside Traverse City?
- Garfield Township: http://www.garfield-twp.com/staff.asp#SDBBoard%20of%20Trustees
- East Bay Township Supervisor: http://www.eastbaytwp.org/supervisor.asp
- Acme Board of Trustees: http://www.acmetownship.org/board-of-trustees.html
- Acme Township Planning Comission: http://www.acmetownship.org/planning-commission.html
4. WRITE A LETTER TO THE EDITOR
Both proactive and reactive letters to the editor can be powerful ways to advocate for walkable/bikeable community design. Example topics:
- Implementation of Traverse City’s Complete Streets Policy
- Implementation of Traverse City’s Traffic Calming Program
- Completion of Traverse City’s Active Transportation Plan
- Enforcement of Traverse City’s ordinance to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks
- In support of a multi-modal 8th Street design with protected walk/bike infrastructure
- In support of safe walk/bike infrastructure for our region’s most dangerous roads – Barlow, Division, Grandview – where pedestrians are too frequently struck and/or killed.
Email the Traverse City Record Eagle at email@example.com
Email the Northern Express at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Letters must be in the body of the email, not an attachment
- Must include a phone number for verification
We are always looking for talented, creative people to help create and share pro walk/pro bike content.
- Like to write? Support our blog as a guest author
- Skilled with the camera? Act as one of our photographers/videographers
- Social media whiz? Share away as a social media ambassador
Email us at email@example.com for more info
6. REPORT DANGEROUS STREET OR SIDEWALK CONDITIONS
Pothole threatening to eat your wheel? Sidewalk unshoveled? Bike lane paint faded? Report it.
- Call or email the Traverse City Streets Department
- Call or email the Traverse City Engineering Department
Street or sidewalk hazard outside Traverse City proper?