How to be a Grand Traverse Pro Walk/Pro Bike Advocate
2. JOIN THE CONVERSATION ON FACEBOOK
3. CONTACT DECISION MAKERS
While our local leaders are brilliant people, they are not mindreaders. If you value a community that is walkable and bikeable for everyone…then YOU must demand it!
Also, don’t forget to thank our local leaders for a job well done! If you see a particular program or policy that has helped make Grand Traverse County more bike/walk friendly, let them know. Too often they only hear complaints and requests, but it is very important to recognize all the good work that is being done, too!
- Email the City Manager, Mary Colburn: email@example.com
- Email the City Commission: CityCommissioners@traversecitymi.gov
- Email the Planning Commission: PlanningCommission@traversecitymi.gov
- Email the Planning Director, Russ Soyring: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email the Assistant City Manager and traffic committee chair, Penny Hill: email@example.com
Live outside Traverse City?
- Garfield Township
- East Bay Township Supervisor
- Acme Board of Trustees
- Acme Township Planning Commission
4. WRITE A LETTER TO THE EDITOR
Both proactive and reactive letters to the editor can be powerful ways to advocate for walkable/bikeable community design. Example topics:
- Implementation of Traverse City’s Complete Streets Policy
- Implementation of Traverse City’s Traffic Calming Program
- Completion of Traverse City’s Active Transportation Plan
- Enforcement of Traverse City’s ordinance to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks
- In support of a multi-modal 8th Street design with protected walk/bike infrastructure
- In support of safe walk/bike infrastructure for our region’s most dangerous roads – Barlow, Division, Grandview – where pedestrians are too frequently struck and/or killed.
Email the Traverse City Record-Eagle at firstname.lastname@example.org
Email the Northern Express at email@example.com
- Letters must be in the body of the email, not an attachment
- Must include a phone number for verification
We are always looking for talented, creative people to help create and share pro walk/pro bike content.
- Like to write? Support our blog as a guest author
- Skilled with the camera? Act as one of our photographers/videographers
- Social media whiz? Share away as a social media ambassador
- People person? Help out at our many outreach events and activities
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info
6. REPORT DANGEROUS STREET OR SIDEWALK CONDITIONS
Pothole threatening to eat your wheel? Sidewalk unshoveled? Bike lane paint faded? Report it.
- Call or email the Traverse City Streets Department
- Call or email the Traverse City Engineering Department
7. STAY UP TO DATE! HAVE NORTE’S ADVOCACY NEWS SENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX