Grand Traverse Regional Summer Bike Camps
REGISTRATION OPEN NOW
We’re using Active Network for registration again this year. If you’re new to the program, registration is fast, easy, and secure. If you previously participated in a Norte program, then you already have an account created. Sign in at the top of the registration page (link above), and enter your email address username when prompted–no need to create a new family account for the new year!
Quick, little video that might help with Active Networks registration questions.
MAKE YOUR SUMMER BIKE-TASTIC!
Make your summer bike-tastic! Norte’s Summer Bike Camps are an adventure-based, week-long, half-day camp. It teaches elementary and middle school-aged kids urban bike safety skills and confidence through empowerment, education, and adventure. Many adventures!
LOCATION DETAILS AND REGISTRATION:
- Traverse City: Sessions available June 21 through August 27, 2021.
- Elk Rapids: Sessions held the weeks of June 28, July 26, and August 16.
- Suttons Bay: Sessions held the weeks of June 28, July 19, and August 9.
- Northport: Sessions held the weeks of July 12, August 2, and August 16.
- Kalkaska: Sessions offered for the weeks of July 5, July 19, and August 2.
SUMMER BIKE CAMPERS
- Explore their town on their bike and discover its excellent places.
- Learn how to bike safely and bike smart around town with their friends.
- Develop bike repair and maintenance skills. Knowing how to change a flat or adjust your brakes is powerful.
- Become a bike handling ninja.
- Meet new friends, be active, and have the best summer ever!
SESSION AND TEAM ORGANIZATION
Summer Bike Camp teams are grouped by grades. Choose the grade that your child is going into in the fall.
- 1st and 2nd graders
- 3rd and 4th graders
- 5th and 6th graders
- 7th and 8th graders
For rising 7th to 10th graders who can’t get enough mountain biking, have a look at the Norte Shredventure weeklong trail-riding camp (new for 2021).
- Camps are 9:00 AM-noon, Monday to Friday.
- Afternoon activity options available for the Traverse City Bike Camp
COVID-19 RESPONSE AND BIKE CAMP
At this time, we’re planning on similar precautions and protocols used for 2020. Please review those guidelines and let us know if you have further questions: COVID-19 Precaution Sheet
Norte is always committed to the safety and well-being of all our campers, guests, and staff. We’re doubling-down on that effort with the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic upon us. As Michigan moves positively through the MI Safe Start Plan and recovery, Norte’s goal remains the same – do our part to make it the best summer ever.
Our COVID-19 Task Force will continue to stay abreast of the latest requirements and guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the State of Michigan, and the Grand Traverse County Health Department.
WHAT IS BIKE CAMP?
Adventure Camp is Norte’s tried and true model of riding bikes to explore the area and learn how to navigate. Some days we ride far. Some days we find a fantastic playground, park or beach nearby. Regardless, each day the bike is our adventure vehicle, and our legs are our engines!
Off-road trails? Adventure Bike Camps may include some off-road riding on fun trails within riding-distance from the home base park. Depending on camper age and experience, Bike Camp may log up to 10 miles seeking adventure during a morning session, so campers should be prepared with a healthy breakfast, plenty of water in their water bottle, and pack some snacks!
Bike mechanics? Each day will include some exploration of real-life bike problems that can arise while enjoying our bikes. Whether it’s a daily ABC bike check or trying to figure out what that squeaking noise is, bike camp relies on bikes, so most of the bike fixes will take place in the field with our own bikes. Note, Norte staff cannot fix every bike problem that comes up during the week, so please inspect bikes or take them to a local bike shop before coming to camp to make sure:
- it still fits the rider
- the tires hold air
- both brakes work
- it changes gears properly, if applicable
No bike? Norte’s Youth Bike Library in Traverse City and Elk Rapids may help with program bikes available on a first-come, first-served basis. Please contact a staff member at email@example.com or 231-883-2404 to get one reserved.
- Positive attitude
- Able to comfortably ride 3-4 miles (1st – 2nd grade), 5-6 miles (3rd-4th), 7-8 miles (5th-6th grade)
- $120 for a week of Bike Camp from Monday to Friday, 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- 10% off Bike Camp when registering siblings.
- 10% off when registering for 2 or more camp sessions.
- Discounts only apply for registrations that are purchased in the same order (i.e., as part of the same cart).
Thanks to our generous donors and sponsors, Norte is proud to provide scholarships to ensure that all families can participate in our programs. We have partial and full scholarships for every one of our programs available (One scholarship per child per season). Contact firstname.lastname@example.org (or 231-883-2404) to request a scholarship before registering.
We know plans and circumstances change. Please read through the Norte cancellation policy below.
Cancellations Initiated by a Parent/Guardian or Participant
- Requests sent 4+ weeks prior to the camp session start date will be issued a 100% refund minus a $10 service fee
- Requests sent 2+ weeks prior to the camp session start date will be issued a 75% refund.
- Requests sent within 2 weeks of the camp session start will not receive a refund.
Cancelations Initiated by State or Local Authorities (ex. COVID-19)
- If a Norte program cannot begin due to State or local policies, a full refund will be issued.
- If a Norte program has already begun and continuation is prohibited by State or local policies, a prorated refund will be issued.
Cancellation requests must be sent via email to email@example.com.
NORTE IS HIRING!
Have a look at our latest job postings, including summer bike camp coaches, if you think teaching kids to fall in love with biking sounds like a fun way to spend the day.