Norte Summer Bike Camp Coach
Norte is seeking Summer Bike Camp Coaches to join Team Orange. The ideal candidate will be passionate about happy, healthy, strong communities, and active-for-life kids. This position is seasonal, June-August, and will report to Norte’s Program Director.
Summer Bike Camp Coaches run Norte’s seasonal bike safety and adventure program across the Grand Traverse region. This position requires a genuine enthusiasm for Norte’s mission and a passion for helping youth grow and succeed.
- Reports to: Program Director
- Supervises: Assistant Coach
Coaches work with the rest of Norte’s remarkable team, which includes full-time, part-time, and seasonal staff, and the board of directors. This position will develop and strengthen external relationships with community members, such as partners, donors, volunteers, and the general public—chief among them being our young riders’ parents.
- Lead Norte’s seasonal summer bike camp program as detailed in the Coach’s Manual.
- Come to work ready to model happy, healthy, strong to our young riders.
Camps are broken up into four groups:
- 1st/2nd graders
- 3rd/4th graders
- 5th/6th graders
- 7th/8th graders
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE
- The kids are kept safe at all times.
- The kids have fun while exploring and learning bike safety skills.
- Responsibilities and tasks are completed on time and thoroughly.
- Written communication is clear, concise, professional, and free from error.
- Systems and procedures are adhered to, and ways to improve them pursued when appropriate.
- Recognition that our work is a team effort. We work to develop a sense of belonging, acceptance, and support.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Exhibit a passion for bicycles and professionalism, with superior social skills and an ability to engage, encourage, and communicate with youth participants and their families.
- Demonstrate experienced cycling skills and be knowledgeable about urban riding skills, local bike routes, and basic bicycle repair.
- Practical and effective problem-solving skills and creativity to make any situation a fun learning experience.
- The desire to learn and grow professionally.
- Frequently ride 8-14 miles on streets and trails.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
The Summer Bike Camp Coach is a part-time, temporary (four months or less) position exempt from the minimum wage and overtime requirements. Wage is paid $20/hour. Camp sessions run weekly from 6/21/21 through 8/27/21. Direct deposit payments will be made every two weeks.
Benefits: Paid training, phone stipend, flexible summer schedule.
Hours: 8:45am – 12:15pm M-F.
- Traverse City
- Elk Rapids
- Suttons Bay
- Glen Arbor
A typical morning consists of riding bikes with your team of 8 kids and an assistant coach – a fantastic high school kid from Norte’s Youth Leadership Council. You’ll help your group of young riders have fun and learn bike safety skills while finding adventure in several communities. Norte offers camps in Traverse City, Elk Rapids, Northport, Suttons Bay, and Kalkaska. Riding bikes to parks, playgrounds, and other areas of interest make the morning go by quickly. Finding ways to engage the bike campers with outdoor games, educational interpretations of our environment, and informative bike mechanic fixes add variety and memories to the day. Supervision of bike campers, including pick up at noon, is required, are daily recap emails to camper families.
How to Apply
- Complete this application form.
- Submit your resume to Ben Boyce at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Summer Camp Coach” in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until positions are filled.
The ideal candidate would start employment in June 2021 and run at least four camps during the summer.
Norte is an equal opportunity and an at-will employer. The above position description describes the position currently available and is not intended to be an employment contract. Norte reserves the right to modify the duties or position description at any time. This position is located in either Kalkaska, Suttons Bay, Traverse City, Northport, or Elk Rapids and is considered to be non-exempt.