Northern Michigan Bike Month
The humble bicycle is a staple of the streets. Every day people across the globe prove that the bicycle remains the most efficient, convenient, equitable, and safe ways to navigate through a community. The bicycle’s history is one of freedom and resilience. Let’s celebrate this fantastic invention with Northern Michigan Bike Month.
May is the month to go to the garage, find an old bicycle, sweep away the cobwebs, oil the chain, raise the seat, and get out there rolling. It’s also a great time to consider a new bike—or two!— while recycling your old one. What may not fit you might fit someone else perfectly.
We believe bicycles are essential and encourage everyone to lean on their steed this month by going beyond simply biking for exercise. Get out there and accomplish great everyday things.
- Bicycles are essential for picking up food, groceries, or other goods.
- Bicycles are essential transportation to get to school and work.
- Bicycles are essential to connect friends and family.
Join us this month in celebrating the all-powerful bicycle.
NORTHERN MICHIGAN BIKE MONTH CALENDAR
- May 1: Cheers to Bike Month and Silver Spruce Brewing’s “Bicicleta”
- May 2: Previously Loved Bicycle Neighborhood Yard Sale
- May 3: Dust off and tune up your bike at the Community Bike Shop
- May 3: Youth Mountain Bike Team Practices Start!
- May 5: 2021 Northern Michigan Bikes to School Day
- May 7: Fantastic Fridays (every Friday until Summer Vacation)
- May 9: Sunday Trail Rides Kicks Off (Rides every Sunday until Iceman)
- May 9: Take A Mom Mountain Biking Day
- May 10: Adventure Bike Club Practice Starts!
- May 15-16: 24 Hours at the Civic Center
- May 18-21: Eats by Bike Week
- May 19: Ride of Silence
- May 21: Kids vs. Adults — A Bike-Off
- May 22: Norte TuneUp at the Senior Center
- May 23: VIP Slow Roll
- Health Check – Self-monitor and stay home if you’re feeling sick.
- Wear a mask – Take it off when you eat or drink, then put it back on, even outside.
- Physically Distanced – Keep six feet apart as much as you can.
- Wash Hands – Wash hands regularly. 20 seconds with soap and water.
Norte also supports socializing outside in well-ventilated areas and getting a vaccine as soon as available. If we all work together, we will beat this pandemic.