What’s Happening at Norte? Lots!
This year, we’ll continue to empower the young and young at heart to be changemakers and support the programs, infrastructure, policies, systems and culture related to walking, biking and other forms of active transportation to help communities be their best – their healthiest.
What we’re up to this winter:
- Planning for a $2M Safe Routes To School (SRTS) grant which features nearly 5 miles of walk/bike improvements around the 10 in town schools that has been conditionally approved by MDOT.
- Convening a systems practice analysis of policies with our SRTS partners.
- Expanding the successful Pro Walk/Pro Bike Advocacy Academy to all Grand Traverse County residents.
- Preparing the new Wheelhouse at the Civic Center to grow our programs – Amigos, Solution, after-school mountain bike, The Bike Mas Project, Estrellas, and the Traverse City Summer Bike Camp – this spring and summer.
- Exploring opportunities to bring Norte to other communities in the 5 county area.
- Standing up for a more walk/bike friendly Grand Traverse region – like sidewalks in Traverse Heights, a better Barlow Street, extending the 3 Mile trail, better connections around Long Lake and Wetwoods Elementary schools and a revisioned 8th Street – via our grassroots advocacy group.
We need more awesome people including sponsors, volunteers, influencers and connectors who are passionate about happy, healthy, strong communities and active-for-life kids to get involved.
Need Help Shoveling Your Sidewalk? The Northern Michigan Big Dig Project Can Help
Need help shoveling your residential sidewalk this winter?
The Northern Michigan Big Dig is part of our “neighbors helping neighbors” campaign, A Clear Path To Health.
If you are unable to shovel your sidewalk, complete this form and we’ll try our best to connect you with someone in your neighborhood that can help.
Email email@example.com with questions.
Bike-Powered! Recycle Your Christmas Tree The Awesome Way
photo credit: Modacity
With inspiration from the awesome people at Modacity in Vancouver, Norte! is excited to offer bike-powered delivery of your Christmas tree to Traverse City’s recycling drop-off site. Because recycling your tree by bicycle might just be the most awesome thing ever:
- it’s easy. Just fill out the form below.
- it’s convenient. One less trip for you.
- it’s less wasteful. Turning your tree into mulch rocks!
- it supports Norte!. Yay for kids on bikes in Traverse City.
Here’s How it Works:
- Commit to making a donation – big or small – and help us inspire Traverse City youth through bicycles. With your support, Norte! will:
- invest in bike tools, parts and supplies for El Barrio Bike Fix, our upcoming after school learn-to-wrench program at Eastern Elementary
- host The Bike Mas Project, our experienced-based after school empowerment program at Eastern and Traverse Heights Elementary this spring
- purchase more balance bikes for the Estrellas del Norte!, our learn-to-ride program this summer
- grow our Kids Bike Library to make sure that every awesome kid can ride an awesome bike no matter their family’s financial resources
- Sign up HERE to schedule your pick-up.
- A Norte! volunteer will pedal your Christmas tree to Hull Park using 8ft, heavy duty bike trailers loaned to us by our friends at Carter’s Compost.
- Give yourself a pat on the back for supporting kids on bikes in Traverse City and recycling your tree into mulch and erosion control for City parks and Brown Bridge Quiet Area.
- Pick-ups available in Oak Park, Boardman, Traverse Heights, Central and Old Town neighborhoods only.
- Pick-ups from 12/28/15 until 1/17/16 .
- Donations can be made online HERE, via check to “Norte!” left with your tree or sent to to PO Box, 781, TC, MI, 49685.
Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
More info on the City’s tree recycling program HERE.
More info on who Norte! is and what we do HERE.
Learn more about Modacity and their amazing internationally crowd-sourced #TreeByBike photo gallery HERE.
Bike Happy. Bike Mas. Bike Your Christmas Tree TC.