Safe Routes To School Champions
BECOME A SAFE ROUTES TO SCHOOL CHAMPION
YOUR VOICE IS IMPORTANT
While Norte! is committed to empowering and encouraging kids to actively get themselves to school in Traverse City full time, we still need your voice. We are only one piece of the puzzle. It is critical for like minded parents to advocate for active, happy, ready-to-learn kids at their school. Our message is amplified when awesome moms and dads take ownership of their school’s active transportation plan and get involved.
WAYS TO TAKE ACTION
- Join our Safe Routes To School team
- Volunteer your time and talents
- Report dangerous driving and street/sidewalk conditions
- Contact decision makers
JOIN OUR SAFE ROUTES TO SCHOOL TEAM
Our SRTS Team is a grassroots initiative dedicated to empowering parents to get involved at their school and in their neighborhood.
Norte! SRTS team members are willing to help:
- Advocate for happy, healthy, ready-to-learn kids at their school
- Act as a liaison at their school and in their neighborhood.
- Champion walk/bike to school events and programs
- Recruit future work team members
- Meet as a City-wide group 2-3x/year
AND THEN JOIN THE CONSERVATION
We are always looking for committed volunteers to help with our walk/bike to school events and programs:
- Assist with walking audits, parent surveys, walking/biking route development at your school
- Be a bike train conductor or walking school bus driver to your school
- Help with Estrellas, The Bike Mas Project or El Barrio Bike Fix at your school.
Email us at email@example.com for more info.
REPORT DANGEROUS DRIVING AND STREET/SIDEWALK CONDITIONS
Cars driving too fast? Drivers blowing stop signs? Pothole threatening to eat your kid’s front wheel? Sidewalks unshoveled? Bike lane paint faded? Report it.
Traverse City Police Department: traversecitymi.gov/planning
Traverse City Streets Department: traversecitymi.gov/streets_dept
Traverse City Engineering Department: traversecitymi.gov/engineering
CONTACT DECISION MAKERS
Let your school leadership and elected officials know that Safe Routes To School matter to you.
The benefits of walking and biking to school are many. Here are some talking points:
- better concentration in class
- less traffic congestion near schools
- improved cognitive abilities
- stronger sense of community
- more exercise
- safer streets: communities with the higher walk/bike rates have lower crash rates for all travel modes
- a distraction-free time to connect with families and classmates
- less air pollutants from automobiles
Trinity Lutheran Leadership:
City Manager, Marty Colburn:
Traverse City Commissioners: CityCommissioners@traversecitymi.gov
Traverse City Planning Director, Russ Soyring:
Traverse City Planning Commission: PlanningCommission@traversecitymi.gov
Live outside Traverse City?
Email Grand Traverse County Commissioners:
Email Garfield Township Commissioners:
And don’t forget to THANK THEM if you see something you like, let them know! They get a lot of complaints, so please praise when they get things right.