Cranksgiving Traverse City
Thanks to our partner, Food Rescue of Northwest Michigan, and this year’s sponsor, Susan Soffredine Rauser of State Farm Insurance, we are hosting our 2nd Annual Cranksgiving Traverse City on Sunday, November 24, 2019!
Cranksgiving is part bicycle ride, part food drive that happens across the nation during the month of November to benefit local charities and families as they prepare for Thanksgiving. It’s that simple. Ride bikes. Give back. Do good.
And this year, Cranksgiving TC is going to rock!
HOW IT WORKS
- Decide if you are riding as a team (2-5 awesome people suggested) or on your own in either the open (5-6 miles) or family (2-3 miles) division.
- Register here. There is no entry fee (expect to spend $25/team on food items)
- You will be provided a list of food items and tasked with purchasing these items from several grocery stores in town.
- You will also be challenged to commit at least one act of random kindness (think: giving a stranger a compliment or helping someone with their groceries or picking up trash).
- There are no Cranksgiving “winners” because everyone wins. Duh.
November 24, 2019 at the Norte Wheelhouse
Arrive at 12 noon to check-in, pick up your list and receive instructions. Everyone should be rolling by 12:30. Everyone should be back at the Wheelhouse by 2:00pm.
WHAT TO BRING
- A functioning bicycle. Expect to ride 5-6 miles in the open division and 2-3 miles in the family division.
- $25. Or your credit card. $25 is per team or family so not every member of the team/family will be expected to spend $25.
- Something to carry your food items in. Maybe a backpack, panniers or bicycle basket to get your things back to the Wheelhouse.
- A bike lock so that your bike stays nice and safe while you are in the stores.
- Best costume awards for best individual costume and best team costumes.
CHARITY & FOOD PANTRY PARTNERS
- Step Up Northern Michigan
- Trinity Lutheran Church
- Women’s Resource Center
- NMC Food Pantry
- The Salvation Army
- Love INC of Grand Traverse
- TBAISD New Campus Spirit Pantry
- Grace Food Pantry
- Immaculate Conception Food Pantry
- Father Fred Foundation
- St. Patrick Church Food Pantry
- Christ Church
- Goodwill Inn
GROCERY STORE PARTNERS
- Tom’s East Bay
- Tom’s West Bay
- Tom’s on 14th
- Family Fare
- Oleson’s on Long Lake
- Have fun.
- Be happy. Be kind. Ring your bell. Wave lots.
- Teams must stay together.
- Teams must follow the rules of the road.
- Leave the spandex and teams kits at home, please.
Routes to stores will be a choose-your-own-adventure thing, but please be safe. For any questions, or to nominate other local food pantries, email email@example.com.