The Elk Rapids Strong Project
Elk Rapids kids learning to move and be physically active as part of ordinary life — like going to school, or the park, or the library, or the beach — and then inspiring their parents, teachers, principals, and neighbors to do the same is, in our opinion, one of the most powerful means to sustainable well-living and community healthfulness.
Organized sports and recreation are great, but Norte believes that if we embed walking and biking into our daily routine, it can empower young people to be independent, happy, confident, and ready-to-learn for life — becoming guardians of their own health, developing lifelong habits to move more and sit less, and to become leaders in their community.
If Norte’s vision is happy, healthy, strong communities, our bike programs are the ways that help us achieve it. Each of these empowers kids, and their adults, to get out and ride — no matter the age or the skill level.
- Elk Rapids Rides: a weekly community slow roll for everyone, all summer long
- The Elk Rapids Bike Más Project: an after-school session teaching confidence, independence, and bike safety skills to 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th graders
- Elk Rapids After-School Mountain Bike Program: an after-school mountain bike program for Lakeland’s 1st-5th graders at Maplehurst
- Elk Rapids Summer Bike Camp: half-day, week-long adventure bike camp!
- Elk Rapids Safe Routes To School: happy, healthy, ready to learn kids
The Community Partners
- Elk Rapids Schools
- Village of Elk Rapids
- Elk Rapids District Library
- Elk Rapids Police Department
- Green Elk Rapids
- Crystal Health Clinic
- Cellar 152
- Elk Rapids General Store
We always need more partners to do what we do. Being an Elk Rapids Strong Project Community Partner is both easy and awesome. All we need is your support, and your community influence. Email us at email@example.com to have your organization, business or event added to the list.
We’ll say it again: change is local. We have developed a grassroots method that recruits, trains and empowers neighborhood champions to take charge and be that change. If you are passionate about happy, healthy, ready to learn kids and a stronger, better connected, more walk/bike friendly Elk Rapids, then we want you. We need you.
Whether it’s having a role on the Project Team, or volunteering once in a while, or just staying up to date and coming out for a slow ride, get more involved by completing this form: