Estrellas in School
“To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”
― Albert Einstein
Skip the training wheels and learn to ride on a balance bike with Estrellas.
The Estrellas program consists of one 30-minute session per week for 4 weeks. Once we transform the gym into the street, students learn to ride in the “street.” Estrellas activities becoming progressively challenging week to week. Preschoolers start a little hesitant and maybe unable to even balance. Within a month, they are scooting cross the gym and beaming with the success as a class of strong, confident, and happy students.
THE POWER OF ESTRELLAS
Balance bikes teach coordination and neuro-muscular control. These skills are paramount to safe, confident, independent bicycle riding. Mastering these gross motor skills also have these benefits.
- Enhances concentration and boosts academic success
- Accelerates development of fine motor skills used in handwriting and drawing
- Wakes up the brain and prepares kids to learn when they return to the classroom
The Estrellas program also demonstrates countless other values and skills. With a gym full of kids scooting around patience, respect, and responsibility are critical. As indviduals learning a new skill it takes determination, flexibility, and grit to find their comfort zone. Finally, Estrellas are encouraged to work as a team and help each other as a class.
- 20 balance bikes & 20 little helmets
- Everything we need to set up the “street” course
- One trained instructor
- Pre-program information, survey and release form
- Portable speaker for music. Balance bikes are best with latin music!
- If desired by the teacher, one in-class bike safety presentation
- And for all Estrellas graduates, a free year membership to the Norte Clubhouse, Grand Traverse’s community bike shop
- Access to the entire gym for the duration of the session
- A place to store bikes and helmets near the gym
- A primary contact person at the school
- Assistance with sharing program information and surveys with preschool families
The program runs once a week for four weeks. Each session is 30 minutes. Typically, one session is one class, however, we can accommodate a maximum of 20 children in each session, so combining classes is an option if class sizes permit. We need the gym blocked 15 minutes before the first session for setup and 15 minutes after the last session for tear down.
Thanks to Norte’s generous sponsors, bringing an Estrellas program to your school costs only $100 for 2 classes
- Payment is due at the end of the program
- 3 classes cost $150
- Scholarships available to schools as needed. For more information, contact Norte’s Program Director, Ben Boyce at firstname.lastname@example.org
If your school is interested or ready to roll out an Estrellas Program, please email Norte’s Program Director, Ben Boyce at email@example.com.
Inclement weather policy: If school is cancelled for inclement weather, Norte will attempt to make-up the missed day so that each school can complete four classes. This may mean trying to schedule make-up days on other days of the week, or extending the program if the schedule allows that. We ask that the school remain flexible and our instructors will do the same. Norte will not invoice the school for missed days due to weather.
Share the story: Estrellas: A learn to ride program for preschoolers (PDF)
Thinking about your head? Here’s Norte’s helmet policy
The Estrellas program is part of our bike programs designed for all ages and all abilities. Learn what else Norte offers at: Norte Bike Programs