Norte is Northern Michigan’s youth-focused, active transportation-centered, neighborhood-based 501c3 advocacy organization.
Our mission is to help build stronger, better connected and more walk/bike-friendly communities by empowering the young and young at heart through our programs, services, and community events.
JANUARY – MARCH
- Frozen Rabbit 5K – Your favorite New Year’s Day tradition
- Winter Walk Wednesdays – A weekly celebration of people walking to work, school or just for fun during Northern Michigan’s coldest months.
- Vasa Domingos: Winter Edition – Free, fun and weekly, family group ski at Timber Ridges.
- Winter Bike To Work + School Day – Riding your bike to work and school during the winter is a thing here in Northern Michigan.
APRIL – MAY
- Fridays Fantásticos – A weekly celebration of students walking, biking and rolling to school.
- Northern Michigan Bike Month – May is for bikes in Northern Michigan.
- Northern Michigan Bikes to School Day: 2nd Wednesday in May for National Bike to School Day.
- Vasa Domingos – Weekly family shred on the Vasa. Mother’s Day to Iceman. Sundays.
- Previously Loved Bicycle Yardsale – Buy. Sell. Swap. First Sunday in May.
JUNE – AUGUST
- Walk/Bike To School Hero Awards – Last week of school to celebrate walk/bike to school rockstars.
- Balance Bike Meet-ups – Twice weekly shreds at the Clubhouse
- Kids with Special Needs Meet-ups
- Summer Slow Rolls – Weekly community slow ride to promote an active lifestyle and create awareness for people on bikes.
- Patrick’s Heavy Ride With Friends – Big, long, fun bike ride to raise funds and friends for Norte.
- El Barrio Bike Fix – Weekly summertime community bike fix event at the Clubhouse.
- Bike Valet – Provides professional bike parking services at the Sara Hardy Farmers Market, National Cherry Festival and other community events.
- 24 Hours at the Civic Center – Walk, bike, run, or roll move-a-thon for the Civic Center Park
SEPTEMBER – OCTOBER
- Adventurama – Bikes. Treasure. Glory.
- Northern Michigan Walks to School Day: 1st Wednesday in October for National Walk to School Day.
- Bike Night at the Bijou – Ride bikes. Watch a movie. FUN!
NOVEMBER – DECEMBER
- Run Sabados – Weekly family group run at the Civic Center
- The Great Northern Michigan Shovel Experiment – Crowd-sourced project to keep our neighborhood sidewalks, curb cuts, bus stops and pedestrian bridges clear to keep Northern Michiganders moving.
- Christmas Tree by Bike – Bike-powered delivery of your Christmas tree to the City’s recycling drop site at Hull Park.