Norte Bicycle Mechanic
Norte is seeking a Bicycle Mechanic to join Team Orange. The ideal candidate will be experienced in bicycle repair and maintenance and passionate about happy, healthy, strong communities.
The Bicycle Mechanic manages or assists Norte’s four community services:
- The Grand Traverse Regional Kids’ Bike Library
- Community Bike Shop at the Clubhouse
- Essential transportation program
- Norte TuneUp
With strong organizational and communication skills, the Bike Mechanic will help Team Orange transform the culture of health in the Grand Traverse region.
This position is part-time, year-round.
Norte’s Bicycle Mechanic will report to the Program Director. They will also work closely with all of our teams: communications, programs, outreach, development, and administration.
- Manages the Grand Traverse Regional Kids’ Bike Library
- Manages the Community Bike Shop at the Clubhouse
- Manages Norte’s fleet of program bikes
- Manages used bike and consignment sales
- Manages the Essential transportation program
- Manages the balance bike rental program
- Assists with Norte’s TuneUp service
- Assists and supports Norte’s many incredible bike mechanic volunteers
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE
Success at Norte means
- Responsibilities and tasks are completed on time and thoroughly.
- Written communication is clear, concise, professional, and free from error.
- Systems and procedures are adhered to, and ways to improve them pursued when appropriate.
- Recognition that our work is a team effort. We work to develop a sense of belonging, acceptance, and support.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
Leading candidates will have at least five years of bike mechanics experience in a bike shop.
- Advanced bike repair and maintenance knowledge
- Exhibit professionalism when communicating
- Extremely detail-oriented with strong organization skills
- Exhibit excellent time management skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Demonstrate the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Effective problem-solving skills
- Proficiency or willingness to learn Salesforce
- Proficiency with Google Suite
- The desire to learn and grow professionally
- Daily bike repair and maintenance
- Daily computer work
- Occasional light lifting
- Occasional bicycle riding
The Bike Mechanic is a part-time, 15-20hrs/week, year-round FLSA non-exempt position with a starting wage of $20/hr.
- Benefits: Paid time off, paid holidays, phone stipend, flexible work schedule
- Hours: Often M-F during the day plus occasional work on weeknights and weekends.
WHAT WILL A TYPICAL DAY LOOK LIKE?
A typical day will consist of completing mechanical repairs on all types of bicycles, selling used bicycles, checking bicycles in and out of the system, distributing bicycles to the community, facilitating volunteer mechanics’ training, and organizing the community bike shop at our Grand Traverse County Civic Center headquarters.
How to Apply
Send a compelling cover letter with a resume to Ty Schmidt at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Bicycle Mechanic” in the subject line.
The ideal candidate would start employment in April 2021.
Norte is an equal opportunity and at-will employer. The above position description describes the position currently available and is not intended to be an employment contract. Norte reserves the right to modify the duties or position description at any time. This position is located in Traverse City and is considered to be nonexempt.