Grand Traverse Regional Kids’ Bike Library
The Grand Traverse Regional Kids’ Bike Library aims to keep awesome, elementary-aged students pedaling by making sure their bike always fits, no matter their family’s resources. Norte has branches of the library in Traverse City, Kalkaska, and Elk Rapids.
Thanks to our many supporters, young people can borrow a bike for as long as it fits them. Once they outgrow the bike, they return it to Norte in exchange for the next size up. All of this for free thanks to continued support and donations from the community and local bike shops like McLain Cycle & Fitness.
HOW IT WORKS
- New to our library? First, please complete this one time, one per family Library Application Form.
- In Traverse City, we’ll be there all the time when we’re open — no appointment required. Check out our Wheelhouse hours at the Civic Center and stop by, or call us at 231-883-2471.
- In Elk Rapids, see bikes available here. And then schedule an appointment to pick up at our Elk Rapids Appointment Page.
- In Kalkaska, see bikes available here. And then schedule an appointment to pick up our Kalkaska Appointment Page.
If you’re affiliated with an organization and looking to be a partner library or borrow a variety of different bicycles for your program, please let us know using the Community Partner Request Form. We’d be thrilled to making something happen!
- 12 inch (ideal for 3-4-year-olds)
- 16 inch (4-5-year-olds)
- 20 inch (5-6-year-olds)
- 24 inch (6-10-year-olds)
In return for offering the Grand Traverse Regional Kids Bike Library, we ask that all young riders promise to:
- Take good care of the bike
- Ride their bike as much as possible
- Stay positive and be a proud Norte ambassador
Help keep the Grand Traverse Regional Kids Bike Library free. 100% of donations go to support operations, including helping day for rent, insurance, and supplies to maintain the bikes.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
We’re fortunate to have the support of several partner organizations that utilize our bikes.
- Alba Public School
- Bellaire Public Library
- Central Lake Library
- Grand Traverse Academy
- Lakeland Elementary School
- Leelanau Township Library
- Mancelona Communities in Schools
- Suttons Bay Public Schools