More Girls On Bikes
Ever since we started six years ago, there has been a big gender gap in our programs.
Let’s change that.
Because girls on bikes are healthy, independent, confident girls. Girls on bikes are strong girls. And strong girls will change the world.
Lots of 2019 girls only happenings are in the works. We are just getting rolling. Stay tuned for even more bigger and better events!
- Free Strong Girls Strength Train at Brockmiller Elite Endurance – Wednesday, April 10th
- Free Girls Only Spin Class at Yen Yoga – Tuesday, April 23rd
- Girls Just Wanna’ Have Fun Ride – Saturday, June 8th
- Girls Only Bike Fix – Tuesday, June 18th
- More Girls on Bikes TC Rides Takeover – Wednesday, July 24th
- Pies in the Parks – Sunday, August 18th
- Bike ‘n Bake with Sugar2Salt – September 20 4:30-6 p.m.
- Take a Girl Mountain Biking Day – Sunday, October 13 12 p.m.
- MGOB Cranksgiving Teams – November 17
We need more girls in our bike programs too!
- After school youth mountain bike program
- The Solution – Learn-to-wrench program
- Liderato – A youth leadership council
- Estrellas – Balance bike summer meet-ups at the Clubhouse
- Vasa Domingos – Weekly family shred at Timber Ridge
- The Bike Mas Project at schools
- Traverse City Summer Bike Camp
- Explore Your Neighborhood, Shape Your Community
And here are 4 ways you can help us get more girls on bikes.
1. ENCOURAGE GIRLS TO GET INVOLVED
Know an awesome girl? Maybe it’s your daughter, granddaughter, niece or the neighbor girl down the street. Give her a nudge to get involved with Norte. We have lots of cool happenings for all ages in addition to the above happenings; our summer camp, after-school mountain bike program, and the Estrellas. Plus we have some sweet bikes to borrow and a bunch of scholarships to our programs. Learn more about what we do by getting involved here:
2. VOLUNTEER WITH THE GIRLS
From helping with the girls only events to riding mountain bikes with the girls on Sundays to helping out with The Bike Más Project, we have lots of FUN! – never boring – volunteer opportunities. We NEED more awesome women to get involved. Learn more HERE.
3. BECOME A GIRLS CLUBHOUSE MENTOR
Are you an awesome woman with decent bike repair and maintenance skills and enjoy sharing that knowledge with young women? We need you!
Our kind, energetic and generous mentors are the heart and soul of the Traverse City Community Bicycle Shop at the Norte Clubhouse. Mentors not only answer questions and provide guidance for Clubhouse members during Open Shop hours but also teach basic bike repair and maintenance to our young apprentices as part of our Liderato program.
Mentors “work” 1-2 hour shifts and are repaid with heaps and heaps of praise and high-fives. Usually some snacks, too. Apply HERE.
4. JOIN NORTE’S GIRLS ON BIKES COMMITTEE
Passionate about girls on bikes, have some time on your hands and ready to lead? Join our girls on bikes committee and help Norte get more – lots more! – girls involved. Committee members meet quarterly for one hour to plan, organize and evaluate events and programs. Learn more by emailing Ashlea Walter at firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions? Get at us.