More Girls On Bikes
Ever since we started four years ago, there has been a big gender gap in our programs.
Let’s change that.
Because girls on bikes are healthy, independent, confident girls. Girls on bikes are strong girls. And strong girls will change the world.
2018 girls only happenings:
- Wrinkle in Time by Bike: Sunday, March 25
- Kickoff Celebration: Sunday, April 29th. 2-4P. Keen Loft (above the Franklin)
- Girls Take Over the State Theater w/ GT Pie: Saturday, May 19th. 10:00 am. Bike giveaway, other prizes and Moana!
- Take a Girl Mountain Biking Day: Saturday, June 16th. 10:00 am. Timber Ridge.
- Girls Bike Fix Clinic at the Clubhouse: Tuesday, July 24th. 4:00-7:00 pm at the Norte Clubhouse.
- October event TBA
- A Very Grrrrls Iceman: Saturday, November 3rd
We need more girls in our bike programs too!
- Youth Mountain Bike Team – After school program
- Estrellas – balance bike summer meet-ups at the Clubhouse
- Vasa Domingos – weekly family shred at Timber Ridge
- The Bike Mas Project at schools
- Traverse City Summer Bike Camp
And here are 4 ways you can help us get more girls on bikes.
1. ENCOURAGE GIRLS TO GET INVOLVED
Know an awesome girl? Maybe it’s your daughter, granddaughter, niece or the neighbor girl down the street. Give her a nudge to get involved with Norte. We have lots of cool happenings for all ages in addition to the above happenings; our summer camp, after-school mountain bike program, and the Estrellas. Plus we have some sweet bikes to borrow and a bunch of scholarships to our programs. Learn more about what we do by getting involved here:
2. VOLUNTEER WITH THE GIRLS
From helping with the girls only events to riding mountain bikes with the girls on Sundays to helping out with The Bike Más Project, we have lots of FUN! – never boring – volunteer opportunities. We NEED more awesome women to get involved. Learn more HERE.
3. BECOME A GIRLS CLUBHOUSE MENTOR
Are you an awesome woman with decent bike repair and maintenance skills and enjoy sharing that knowledge with young women? We need you!
Our kind, energetic and generous mentors are the heart and soul of the Traverse City Community Bicycle Shop at the Norte Clubhouse. Mentors not only answer questions and provide guidance for Clubhouse members during Open Shop hours but also teach basic bike repair and maintenance to our young apprentices as part of our Liderato program.
Mentors “work” 1-2 hour shifts and are repaid with heaps and heaps of praise and high-fives. Usually some snacks, too. Apply HERE.
4. JOIN NORTE’S GIRLS ON BIKES COMMITTEE
Passionate about girls on bikes, have some time on your hands and ready to lead? Join our girls on bikes committee and help Norte get more – lots more! – girls involved. Committee members meet monthly for one hour to plan, organize and evaluate events and programs. Learn more by emailing Melissa Socia at email@example.com
Questions? Get at us.