Grand Traverse Regional Youth Mountain Bike Program
2020 NORTE YOUTH MOUNTAIN BIKE TEAM
An After-School Program
UPDATE: We understand that many Mountain Bike sessions filled up fast this morning. Don’t be discouraged. We are committed to filling the demand as we are able to hire additional coaches. If you end up on a waitlist, you will be notified as new practices open. To place your child on the waitlist, first, choose your session of choice, then check the “cost” box on the line that says “waitlist only.” Then, scroll all the way to the bottom of that selection box and click “Add to Cart” then back to the top to continue. If you need help navigating Active, please review this how-to video with Coach Ben.
We’re using Active Network for registration again this year. If you’re new to the program, registration is fast, easy, and secure. If you previously participated in a Norte program, then you already have an account created. Sign in at the top of the registration page (link below), or enter your email address username when prompted–no need to create a new family account for 2020!
SHRED WITH TEAM ORANGE!
The Grand Traverse Region Mountain Bike Team hits the trails again this fall with sensational elementary, middle, and high school students. Our goal is to unleash confidence, courage, and heart through loads of fun, while also empowering young people to be independent, strong, and gritty – yes, we get a little dirty mountain biking!
COVID-19 RESPONSE ON THE TRAILS
Norte is committed to the safety and well-being of our teammates, staff, and their families. We’re able to deliver the Mountain Bike program confidently because of staff and families following precautionary measures and monitoring protocols, and generally looking out to protect each other.
The following precautions are integrated into our mountain bike practices. Norte commits to reinforcing indispensable public health habits that our riders take with them to school, home, and in the community – happy, healthy, strong. Please help us by going over these rules with your child. To assist, please download this one page COVID-19 precaution sheet.
Some of the precautionary steps we’re taking include:
- Social Distancing – Riders will maintain a six-foot distance from others when gathered before, during, and after practice. When riding, they’ll maintain 12′ to 18′ distance – no tailing on the trail!
- Masks – Face coverings are not required when riding. However, they remain necessary on arrival, during breaks, and during instruction time. Norte has performance masks available in our online store.
- Monitoring – We require all coaches and teammates to complete an online health screen before practice begins every day. Riders who are ill or have come in contact with someone COVID-19 positive may not participate until cleared. We ask that families help us keep everyone safe. Failure to complete the health screen may result in dismissal from the program.
- Healthy Habits – In line with USA Cycling and Michigan Scholastic Cycling Association guidelines, we ask riders to follow strict hygiene measures. No sharing. No spitting. No gross “snot-rockets.” If a rider needs to sneeze or cough, covering up with a handkerchief or releasing it into the arm is the rule. Also, we ask that all participants wash their hands with soap and water before coming to practice and that they carry their own hand sanitizer.
Our COVID-19 Task Force will continue to stay abreast of the latest requirements and guidelines. If you have any questions related to our pandemic response, please contact Gary at email@example.com.
NEW IN 2020 (non-pandemic related)
1. More practice location options
- Choose from practice sessions at these starting locations:
- Civic Center (elementary, middle, and high schoolers)
- Timber Ridge (elementary, middle, and high schoolers)
- The Commons (middle schoolers)
- Westwoods Elementary – Lake Dubonnet trails (elementary schoolers)
- Maplehurst near Elk Rapids (elementary schoolers)
- Glacial Hills near Bellaire (elementary schoolers)
- Palmer Woods (elementary schoolers)
2. More practice schedule options
- 1st through 5th graders can choose a Monday & Wednesday or Tuesday & Thursday practice schedule.
- 6th-12th graders will continue to practice Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday.
3. More chances to grow with tryouts for Norte’s elite race team, Varsity
- Race team practice meets at the Wheelhouse in the Grand Traverse Civic Center.
- Learn more: Norte Varisty Mountain Bike Team
- Fall 2020 season starts September 14th and runs for five weeks
- 1st-5th graders practice Monday & Wednesday or Tuesday & Thursday from 4:30-6 pm. (Glacial meets at 4:00pm and the Westwoods location has a 3:45-5:15 pm option and a 4:30-6 pm)
- 6th-12th graders practice Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday from 4:15-6:15 pm with the exception of The Commons location which is 3:30-5:30 pm.
FALL PROGRAM PERKS:
- No bike? No problem. We have several fine-tuned mountain bikes ready to be borrowed!
- 6th-12th grade participants will receive a complimentary Norte cycling jersey
- 1st-5th grade participants will receive a complimentary Tech T-shirt
- If you already have a jersey or Tech T from a previous season that you can still wear, you can select to receive a merchandise discount code for the Norte Store during registration
- $85 for 1st-5th graders
- $135 for 6th-12th graders
* In the event that state or local policy and guidance changes such that the Mountain Bike Team cannot proceed due to a surge in the spread of the coronavirus, families will be refunded a pro-rated registration fee.
- 10% off for siblings. Automatic in registration.
- 10% off for kids new to Norte’s mountain bike program. Code: FIRSTTIME20
- 20% off for children & grandchildren of coaches. Code: THANKSCOACH20
- 20% off for children & grandchildren of volunteers who commit to volunteering at least 20 hours with Norte in 2020 including 6 hours with the fall mountain bike program. Code: THANKSVOLUNTEER20
- A positive attitude
- Can comfortably ride 3-4 miles (1st-5th grade) and 8-10 miles (6th-12th grade)
Thanks to our generous donors and sponsors, Norte is proud to provide scholarships to ensure that all families participate in our programs. We have partial and full scholarships available for every one of our programs (One scholarship per child per season). Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a scholarship before registering.
- You can cancel for any reason two weeks before starting the program to receive a full refund (August 31, 2020).
- If you need to cancel after August 31, 80% of the registration fee will be refunded if Norte is notified at least seven days before the start of the program start date. After September 6, registration fees are nonrefundable.
- Cancellation requests need to be sent via email to email@example.com.
In the event that state or local policy and guidance changes due to the pandemic such that the Mountain Bike Team cannot proceed, families will be refunded a pro-rated registration fee.
WANT TO HELP?
We’re hiring! Coaches are still needed. Apply Here Today.
We also need volunteers to assist the Coaches. Get involved HERE.
Thank you to these wonderful sponsors for supporting the Grand Traverse Region Youth Mountain Bike Team, and happy, healthy, strong kids:
Limited corporate sponsorships of the Grand Traverse Region Youth Mountain Bike Team are also available. Please contact Ty Schmidt at firstname.lastname@example.org