Norte Youth Mountain Bike Coach
Norte is seeking Mountain Bike Coaches to join our Northern Michigan Youth Mountain Bike Team.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about happy, healthy, strong communities, and active-for-life kids. Mountain bike coach is a seasonal job. We run programs in the fall and in the spring. We’re currently onboarding for the Fall of 2021. Practice starts September 13.
Mountain Bike Coaches run Norte’s seasonal after-school youth mountain bike team across the Grand Traverse region. This position requires a genuine enthusiasm for Norte’s mission and a passion to help youth grow and succeed.
Looking to assist a Mountain Bike Coach? We’re also looking for volunteer Assistant Coaches.
- Reports to: Program Director
- Supervises: Assistant Coach
Coaches work with the rest of Norte’s remarkable team, which includes full-time, part-time, and seasonal staff, and the board of directors. This position will develop and strengthen external relationships with community members, such as partners, donors, volunteers, and the general public.
- Lead Norte’s Youth Mountain Bike program as detailed in the Coach’s Manual.
- Assist in recruiting a volunteer assistant coach (sweeper) for your team.
- Attend paid training sessions:
- 90-minute off-bike training (required every season)
- Two-hour site-specific on-bike training (required every season)
- Two-hour CPR/first aid training (required every six seasons)
- One-hour sexual abuse training with the Child Advocacy (required every six seasons)
- One-hour concussion training (required every six seasons)
- Model happy, healthy, and strong.
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE
- The kids have fun while exploring and learning bike safety skills.
- The kids are kept safe at all times on trails and streets.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Experienced mountain biker.
- In-depth knowledge of local trails.
- Basic bike mechanic skills, especially trailside repairs.
- First aid and CPR skills.
- Superior social skills and an ability to engage, encourage, and communicate with youth participants and their families.
- Intermediate to advanced mountain bike skills, and a good understanding of basic bicycle repair, including trailside repairs.
- Practical and effective problem-solving skills and creativity to make any situation a fun learning experience.
- Frequently ride 8-14 miles on streets and trails.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
The Norte Mountain Bike Coach is a part-time, temporary (four months or less) position exempt from the minimum wage and overtime requirements. Such individuals will be paid $20/hour. The fall program runs the week of September 13, 2021, through October 15, 2021. Direct deposit payments will be made every two weeks.
- Get your kid or grandkid into the program at 20% off
- Paid training
- Phone stipend
- 20% off Norte merch and used bikes
- 1st-5th graders practice 2x/week for five weeks. Practices are 90 minutes long on Mondays/Wednesdays or Tuesdays/Thursdays from 4:30 – 6:00 PM. (Westwoods has a 3:45 start time option, too)
- 6th-12 graders practice 3x/week for five weeks. Practices are two hours long on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 4:15 – 6:15 PM (The Commons has a 3:30 start time option, too)
WHAT WILL A TYPICAL PRACTICE LOOK LIKE?
Typical after-school team practice starts with meeting your team outdoors for warm-ups and objectives, then riding bikes with your small team of six to seven riders (grouped by ability) and a volunteer assistant coach as sweep. You’ll help your team have fun and learn new skills while finding adventure on several regional trail systems, including the Vasa, Palmer Woods, Grand Traverse Commons, North County Trail in Kalkaska, Lost Lake Trail, Glacial Hills, Maplehurst, Crystal Mountain, Nubs Nob, Arcadia, and Boyne City.
How to Apply
Submit an application at elgruponorte.org/jobs/application and then email a resume and 2 professional references to Ben Boyce at email@example.com with “Mountain Bike Team Coach” in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until positions are filled.
Norte is an equal opportunity and an at-will employer. The above position description describes the position currently available and is not intended to be an employment contract. Norte reserves the right to modify the duties or position description at any time. This position is located in Benzie, Leelanau, Grand Traverse, Antrim, Charlevoix, and Emmet Counties and is considered to be non-exempt.