Norte Youth Mountain Bike Coach
Norte is seeking Mountain Bike Coaches to join our Grand Traverse Regional Youth Mountain Bike Team.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about happy, healthy, strong communities, and active-for-life kids. This is a seasonal position for the second week of May 2021 through the first week of June 2021.
Mountain Bike Coaches run Norte’s seasonal after-school youth mountain bike team and adventure program across the Grand Traverse region. This position requires a genuine enthusiasm for Norte’s mission and a passion to help youth grow and succeed.
Looking to assist a Mountain Bike Coach? We’re also looking for volunteer Assistant Coaches.
- Reports to: Program Director
- Supervises: Assistant Coach
Coaches work with the rest of Norte’s remarkable team, which includes full-time, part-time, and seasonal staff, and the board of directors. This position will develop and strengthen external relationships with community members, such as partners, donors, volunteers, and the general public.
- Lead Norte’s Youth Mountain Bike program as detailed in the Coach’s Manual.
- Assist in recruiting a volunteer assistant coach (sweeper) for your team.
- Attend paid training sessions:
- 90-minute off-bike training (required every season)
- 2-hour site-specific on-bike training (required every season)
- 2 hour CPR/first aid training (required every 6 seasons)
- 1-hour sexual abuse training with the Child Advocacy (required every 6 seasons)
- 1-hour concussion training (required every 6 seasons)
- Model happy, healthy, strong.
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE
- The kids have fun while exploring, and learning bike safety skills.
- The kids are kept safe at all times on trails and streets.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Experienced mountain biker.
- In-depth knowledge of local trails.
- Basic bike mechanics skills especially trailside repairs
- First aid and CPR skills.
- Superior social skills and an ability to engage, encourage and communicate with youth participants and their families.
- Intermediate to advanced mountain bike skills, and a good understanding of basic bicycle repair, including trail-side repairs.
- Practical and effective problem-solving skills and creativity to make any situation a fun learning experience.
- Frequently ride 8-14 miles on streets and trails.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
The Spring Mountain Bike Coach is a part-time, temporary (four months or less) position exempt from the minimum wage and overtime requirements. Such individuals will be paid $20/hour. The program runs the week of May 3, 2021, through June 4, 2021. Direct deposit payments will be made every two weeks.
Benefits: Paid training, phone stipend, flexibility on work locations
- 1st-5th graders practice 2x/week for 5 weeks. Practices are 90 minutes long on Mondays/Wednesdays or Tuesdays/Thursdays from 4:30 – 6:00 PM. (Westwoods has a 3:45 start time option too)
- 6th-12 graders practice 3x/week for 5 weeks. Practices are 2 hours long on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 4:15 – 6:15 PM (Commons has a 3:30 start time option too)
WHAT WILL A TYPICAL PRACTICE LOOK LIKE?
Typical after-school team practice starts with meeting your team outdoors for warm-ups and objectives, then riding bikes with your small team of six to seven riders (grouped by ability) and a volunteer assistant coach as sweep. You’ll help your team have fun and learn new skills while finding adventure on several regional trail systems, including the Vasa, Palmer Woods, Grand Traverse Commons, North County Trail in Kalkaska, Lost Lake Trail, Glacial Hills, Maplehurst, Crystal Mountain, Nubs Nob, Arcadia, and Boyne City.
How to Apply
Submit an application at elgruponorte.org/jobs/application and then email a resume and 2 professional references to Ben Boyce at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Mountain Bike Team Coach” in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until positions are filled.
The ideal candidate would start employment in early May 2021.
Norte is an equal opportunity and an at-will employer. The above position description describes the position currently available and is not intended to be an employment contract. Norte reserves the right to modify the duties or position description at any time. This position is located in Benzie, Leelanau, Grand Traverse, Antrim, Charlevoix and Emmet Counties and is considered to be non-exempt.