Youth Mountain Bike Coach
Let’s roll, coach! Are you interested in coaching our Northern Michigan Youth Mountain Bike program?
Coaching is a seasonal job, with programs in the fall and the spring. A coach will express genuine enthusiasm for Norte’s mission and a passion for helping youth grow and succeed.
HOW TO APPLY
Begin the process by filling out a job application form.
To confirm receipt or follow up with questions, email email@example.com. Write in “Mountain Bike Coach” for the subject line. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and filled as needed.
If you would like to volunteer as a lead or assistance coach, please fill out the volunteer form at our volunteer page ➡️ Volunteer Page
- Follow program needs as described in the coach’s manual.
- Assist in recruiting a volunteer assistant coach (sweeper) for your team.
- Attend paid training sessions, which include:
- 90-minute off-bike training (required every season).
- Two-hour site-specific on-bike training (required every season)
- Two-hour CPR/first aid training (required every six seasons)
- One-hour sexual abuse training with the Child Advocacy (required every six seasons)
- One-hour concussion training (required every six seasons)
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE
- Your riders have fun while building confidence and learning mad bike skills.
- The team rides safe at all times, on trails and streets.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Experienced mountain biker.
- Knowledge of local trails.
- Basic bike mechanic skills, especially trailside repairs.
- First aid and CPR skills.
- Strong social skills. Be able to engage, encourage, and communicate with riders and their families.
- Intermediate to advanced mountain bike skills.
- Sound understanding of basic bicycle repair, including trailside repairs.
- Practical problem-solving skills and creativity to make any situation a fun learning experience.
- Be able to ride 8-14 miles on streets and trails.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Register your child or grandchild into the program at 20% off
- Paid training
- 20% off Norte merch and used bikes
- Farm Team (1st-5th graders) — practice 2x/week for five weeks. Practices are 90 minutes long on Mondays/Wednesdays or Tuesdays/Thursdays from 4:30 – 6:00 PM.
- Rally Team & Race Team (6th-12 graders) — practice 2x/week for five weeks. Practices are two hours long on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:15 – 6:15 PM.
When teams arrive, practice starts with warm-ups and a review of the day’s objectives. Each team consists of six to seven riders, grouped at each location based on ability. Then, you head you hit the trails with your assistant coach as the sweep.
Norte Mountain Bike Coaching is a part-time, temporary (four months or less) position. Therefore, it is exempt from the minimum wage and overtime requirements. Compensation is $20/hour. Both spring and fall seasons run for five weeks, with teams riding two-three evenings a week.
Norte is an equal opportunity and an at-will employer. The above position description describes the position currently available and is not intended to be an employment contract. Norte reserves the right to change the duties or position description at any time. This position location is specific to Benzie, Leelanau, Grand Traverse, Antrim, Charlevoix, and Emmet Counties. It is a non-exempt position.