Northport Safe Routes To School
Young Wildcats learning to move and be physically active as part of ordinary life – like going to school! – and then inspiring their parents, teachers, principals, neighbors to do the same is, in our opinion, a powerful means to sustainable well-living and community healthfulness in Northport.
Independent, happy, confident, ready to learn youth are empowered to be guardians of their health, develop lifelong habits to move more and sit less and be leaders in their community.
Norte administers Northport’s Safe Routes To School programs in partnership with the Northport Public School. Our programs, projects, and events are dedicated to empowering students of all ages to actively get themselves to school.
The benefits of walking and biking to school are many, of course:
- better concentration in class
- less traffic congestion near schools
- improved cognitive abilities
- stronger sense of community
- more exercise
- safer streets: communities with the higher walk/bike rates have lower crash rates for all travel modes
- a distraction-free time to connect with families and classmates
- less air pollutants from automobiles
Passionate about kids getting themselves to YOUR school? Get involved!
- Fridays Fantásticos: A weekly celebration of students walking, biking and rolling to school.
- The Great Northport Bike Train Experiment: A community-wide network of adult-led bike train connecting neighborhoods to school.
- Winter Walk Wednesdays: A #StepItUp inspired celebration of people – big or small – walking to work, school or just for FUN! in Northport.
- Park & Stroll: For those students who live too far away from their school. Drive. Park. Walk 5 minutes to school. Easy.
- Northport Bikes to School Day: in May for National Bike to School Day.
- Northport Walks to School Day: in October for National Walk to School Day.
- Winter Bike To Work and School Day
Northport’s Bike Trains
maps coming soon
Park & Stroll Locations
Where: Meet at 7:35, walking at 7:40
How far: 1/4 mile