Youth Mountain Bike Team (Fall 2020 registration opens 8/14/20): Norte’s after school mountain bike program is for elementary, middle, and high school students. This program is held in the spring and fall. Learn more at Ride in the Dirt.
The Bike Más Project (Fall 2020 registration open 8/14/20): This after school adventure teaches bike safety for upper elementary and middle school students. Over 22 area schools now participate. Learn more about this spring and fall program at Bike Más=Bike More
Estrellas: Norte’s year-round learn-to-ride program for preschoolers using balance bikes. During the school year, we bring it to the students and in the summer we meet up at the Club House.
- Free, daily, outside meet-ups at the Clubhouse starting September 8th through October. RSVP here.
- Fall, winter, spring Estrellas information: Estrellas In School (on hold fall 2020)
- Summertime Estrellas information: Estrellas Meetup (no meet-ups in 2020 however balance bikes are available to rent)
Traverse City Summer Bike Camp (2021 registration open 1/13/21): When summer hits, we hit the streets and trails with our week-long, half-day bike adventures. This bike-tastic summer camp is for elementary and middle school students in June, July, and August. Details and registration can be found at Summer Bike Camp
Amigos: Norte is for happy, healthy, ready to learn kids no matter their ability, and that every child deserves an opportunity to experience the joy of riding a bicycle. Amigos is both an in-school and weekly summertime meetup program for kids with special needs. Learn more at Amigos on Bikes!
Grand Traverse Kids Bike Library: Making sure awesome kids have an awesome bike to ride no matter their family’s resources. This is a dynamic program with new opportunities all the time. Branches in Elk Rapids and Traverse City. Check out the latest details at Get a Bike!
- We currently have 12″, 16″, 20″ and 24″ sized frames in the library.
- This program isn’t possible with our generous support. Read more about how you can contribute to keep this program rolling.
The Solution: Norte Solution is a series of bike mechanics classes for the young and young at heart. Basic bicycle maintenance and repair is a lifelong skill. Solution programs ultimately help students of all ages ride with more confidence, ride further, and to embrace a happy, healthy lifestyle. More information at Fix-It!
The Clubhouse: Norte’s Clubhouse serves as Grand Traverse’s community bike shop where we share our tools, benches, bikes, and knowledge with each other. For free. The Clubhouse strengthens community and advances our mission of building a stronger, better connected, and more bicycle friendly region. Learn more.
Advocate Academy: The Academy is a program for adults that provides an opportunity to develop a greater understanding of how decisions shaping your community are made and how to impact them positively. Learn more at Advocate Academy.
Explore Academy: Explore is an advocacy course for teens, our future leaders, budding city planners, and engaged citizens who make positive change in their communities. Learn more at Explore Academy.
Neighborhood Advocacy: focuses on fixing the streets. We offer on-going, feet- on- the- street training for people interested in working towards communities designed for more walking, more biking, more connection. Get involved at Neighborhood Advocacy.
Stay Home. Stay Safe. Stay Active, Responsibly. We’ll get through this together.
A special shout out to those on the front lines at Munson Healthcare – Thank you! They are in dire need of community support. Please click through to see if there’s something you can do. They need donations and medical supplies.
When you do have to leave home, please follow these preventive measures for viruses like COVID-19, influenza, and the common cold recommended by public health officials.
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for 20 seconds. If not unavailable, use hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or upper sleeve when coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- If you are sick, stay home and avoid contact with others.
- Stay at least six feet away from others when in a public setting.
- Replace handshakes and high-fives with a friendly wave from 6 feet away.
Visit the Michigan.gov/Coronavirus for the latest statewide updates.
Norte’s vision is happy, healthy, strong communities. Our bike programs achieve this because they empower young people to be confident, independent, and healthy. We even offer programs for grownups, so find your program from our list below.