Healthy, Safe, Fun: Things To Do During These Crazy COVID Days
Stay Home. Stay Safe. Stay Active, Responsibly
Outside is not canceled. It has been deemed essential.
To navigate our way through this and come out with a stronger community, staying active, staying healthy, staying responsible is our challenge. Norte programs empower everyone to make outdoor activities part of our every day lives. Now is the time, like no other, to put that into practice. Get out solo. Explore the area around your home with your family unit. You can wave to your friends from opposite sides of the street.
Importantly, stay active responsibly. The Stay Home, Stay Safe order by Governor Gretchen Whitmer is not a suggestion, it is an order. Thankfully, it recognizes that working out the kinks and stretching our legs is essential.
Physical Distancing, Social Solidarity
During this time, we must also maintain the social support networks we have, even if that means, for the time being, focusing on timely Facebook shout outs, friendly text messages, and calls, virtual meet-ups, and shouts across the street to a neighbor on their porch. Social distancing is the chosen public health term, and we can honor it with physical distancing and social solidarity. With that in mind, we will be adding activities to the list below to help keep us busy.
Healthy, Safe, Fun Things To Do
- Adventurama Scavenger Hunts – Stay safe, stay healthy, stay active with our family-friendly bike scavenger hunts.
- The “I Do Norte” – A video campaign for kids of all ages. Coming soon!
- 20 Mile Family Walk Challenge – Walk one mile per day solo or with your family.
- Lynn Bauman Cycling Essay Contest – Write an essay about how bikes, bike racing, and the cycling community has changed their lives. Ages 17 and under. Three winners, three-race scholarships awarded.
- Food By Bicycle Month – Shop your favorite grocery store, market or bakery by bike all April long and be entered to win some sweet prizes.
- Spring Break Splash – Family dip ’cause why not? It’s Spring Break. Remember to stay at least 6 feet away from other dippers, though.
- Going on a [Teddy] Bear Hunt – In partnership with 5 to One. Put a teddy bear in your window or porch so kids can search for them on their neighborhood walks.
- Grand Traverse Kids’ Bike Library – Awesome bikes for awesome kids. For free!
- Kolo TC’s #SOLo Challenge – Let’s ride together, separately.
- Kids’ Poster Contest – Create a Norte inspired poster. Win stuff!
- Virtual Kids’ Bike Mechanics Classes – Keep learning from Mr. Ben with his specially curated YouTube playlist.
- At Home Bike Skillz – Our Program Director shows off his skills course. Let’s see yours.
Stay Home. Stay Safe. Stay Active, Responsibly. We’ll get through this together. We encourage everyone to follow the State’s COVID19 Website and Grand Traverse County COVID19 for continued updates to all CDC recommendations and information.
A special shout out to those on the front lines at Munson Healthcare – Thank you! They are in dire need of community support. Please click through to see if there’s something you can do. They need donations and medical supplies.
Once things return to normal, we’ll have way more fun things to do, promise. Stay up to date and involved.