Norte In School
Kids learning to move and be physically active as part of ordinary life – like going to school! Active kids inspire parents, teachers, principals, neighbors, and the entire community.
Independent, happy, confident, ready to learn youth are empowered to be guardians of their health. They will develop lifelong habits to move more, sit less, and lead with enthusiasm.
Norte administers school-based, walk and bike-focused initiatives across the Grand Traverse region. Our programs, projects, and events empower students of all ages, and their adults, to be active for life.
Norte’s school-based education programs:
- After-School Adventure Bike Club: An adventure-based after-school empowerment program for upper elementary and middle school students. (4-week program in both spring and fall)
- Estrellas: A learn-to-ride program for preschoolers using balance bikes. (4-week indoor in the gym during the winter)
- Solution: A learn-to-wrench program for upper elementary and middle school students.
Norte’s school encouragement programs and events:
- Safe Routes To School Champions: Empowering moms/dads to help make their school better connected and more walk/bike-friendly.
- Fridays Fantástico: A weekly celebration of students walking, biking, and rolling to school.
- The Great Northern Michigan Bike Train Experiment: A community-wide network of adult-led bike trains connecting schools in northern Michigan.
- Winter Walk Wednesdays: A #StepItUp inspired celebration of people – big or small – walking to work, school or just for FUN! in Traverse City.
- Park & Stroll: For those students who attend a school of choice or live too far away from their home school. Drive. Park. Walk 5 minutes to school. Easy.
- Bike2Bus: Portable bike racks at neighborhood bus stops and mapping of safe routes to these racks to encourage “biking to bus”.
- Grand Traverse Regional Kids’ Bike Library: Ensuring that awesome kids have awesome bikes to pedal to school no matter their family’s resources.
- Northern Michigan Bikes to School Day: 2nd Wednesday in May for National Bike to School Day.
- Northern Michigan Walks to School Day: 1st Wednesday in October for National Walk to School Day.
- Winter Bike To Work and School Day: 2nd Friday in February for International Winter Bike To Work and School Day
- Walk/Bike To School Hero Awards: Last week of school to celebrate walk/bike to school rockstars
The benefits of walking and biking to school are many, of course:
- Improved concentration in class
- Reduced traffic congestion
- Improved Cognitive Functioning
- Release of the brain protein…BDNF
- Stronger sense of community
- Safer streets: Communities the walk and bike see lower crash rates across the board.
- Distraction-free quality time with families and classmates
- Reduced air pollution near schools
- More exercise without a gym!
- East Bay Township
- City of Traverse City
- Long Lake Township
- Garfield Township
- Village of Suttons Bay
- Village of Northport
- Village of Kalkaska
- Village of Elk Rapids
- Central Grade
- Cherry Knoll
- Cherryland Middle School – Elk Rapids
- Courtade Elementary
- Eastern Elementary
- East Middle
- Grand Traverse Academy
- Immaculate Conception
- Lakeland Elementary – Elk Rapids
- Long Lake Elementary
- Northport Public School
- Oak Park Elementary
- Old Mission Peninsula School
- Pathfinder School
- Silver Lake Elementary
- TCAPS Montessori
- Traverse Heights Elementary
- Trinity Lutheran
- West Middle
- Westwoods Elementary
- Willow Hill Elementary
- Woodland School
Safe Routes To School infrastructure projects in progress:
Passionate about kids getting themselves to YOUR school? Get involved!