Northern Michigan Bikes To School Day
SAVE THE DATE: 2020 NORTHERN MICHIGAN BIKES TO SCHOOL DAY IS WEDNESDAY, MAY 6TH
The 2019 Northern Michigan Bikes To School Day, a region-wide, multi-school celebration of National Bike To School Day, is on Wednesday, May 8th and it could quite possibly be the most awesome day of kids on bikes in northern Michigan history. Really 😉
In addition to inspiring and empowering more elementary and middle school students to actively transport themselves to class via bicycle than ever before, we will also crown The Most Bike-tastic Northern Michigan School with a little friendly competition.
Traverse City’s Willow Hill won last year. Will the Falcons defend their title in 2019?
Plus we’ll have all sorts of crazy FUN! Prizes and high fives, too, of course.
1. Commit to ride your bike to school on Wednesday, May 8th. All schools in northern Michigan are welcome to participate. Once you commit, you’re promising to bike on the big day. Pinky swear.
2. Tell your friends, teacher, principal and lunch lady about Northern Michigan Bikes To School Day and have them commit, too. Yay, lunch ladies on bikes!
3. Don’t forget, to commit and help your school win The Most Bike-tastic Northern Michigan School award. This is a big deal and we’re taking it very, very seriously. We’re going to use some math, actually.
# of pedaling students and staff ÷
# of total students and staff at school
x 100 =
Your School’s Bike-tastic-ness number
Highest Bike-tastic-ness number wins bragging rights for the entire year and probably a sweet trophy to show off, too.
4. On the big day, hop on your bike and pedal to school with some friends or join one of our many bike trains and pedal with A LOT of friends.
So simple. So awesome.
** If you take the bus to school, ride your bike to the bus stop. That totally counts. We’ll have a limited number of our pop-up neighborhood bike racks set up at popular bus stops. If you can talk some buddies into biking-to-bus with you, let us know HERE and we’ll try to get you one.
** Does your mom or dad normally drive you to school? Ask them nicely to leave a little earlier on Northern Michigan Bikes To School Day and drop you off a couple miles or so from school. Then ask them to join you so that both of you can pedal to school together. That’ll be fun. Not sure where you should park to have a safe route to school? Email us at email@example.com and we’ll help give you some ideas.
Just don’t forget to commit. If you don’t commit, you don’t get counted.
Your school needs YOU! Northern Michigan needs YOU!
2019 Bikes To School Day Train Schedule:
- Thirlby Stadium: 13th and Pine: Meet at 7:30, biking at 7:40. Train Conductor: Carrie Smith
- Oryana: Meet at 7:30, biking at 7:40. Train Conductor: Sally Black
- 6th & Maple: Meet at 7:40, biking at 7:45. Train Conductor: Judy Arnold
- Central Grade School: Corner of 7th and Wadsworth. Meet at 7:45, biking at 7:55. Train Conductors: Sarah Bielman and Ashlea Walter
- Oryana: Meet at 7:35, biking at 7:45. Train Conductor: Kaitlyn Burns
- Jupiter Park: Meet at 7:35, biking at 7:40. Train Conductor: Jamie Burley
- Jupiter Park: Boyd at Rose Street: Meet at 8:00, biking at 8:10. Train Conductor: Stephanie Wilson.
Trinity Lutheran “train”:
- Oryana: Lake and 10th: Meet at 7:20, biking at 7:30. Train conductors: Allison and John Metiva.
- F&M Park: Meet at 8:25, biking at 8:35. Train Conductor: Emily Buchholz.
- Water treatment plant: Meet at 8:30, biking at 8:40. Train conductor: Jeanie Bushong.
West Middle “train”:
- Central Grade School – 7th and Wadsworth: Meet at 6:40, biking at 6:45. Conductor: TBD
- F&M Park (7:15) , Darrow Park (7:35) , Cherry Bend & TART (7:55) – Conductor: Belinda Belanger.
- Marley and Asher’s house – Meet at 8:20, rolling at 8:30. Conductor: Juli Tiesworth.
- Darrow Park: Meet at 8:15, biking at 8:20. Train Conductor: Dan Ellis
Fifth Third Bank: Meet at 8:20, biking at 8:30. Conductor: Julie Plum
River Walk Grill: Meet at 8:15, biking at 8:20. Conductor: TBD
Mr. Wetherbee’s House: Meet at 7:35, biking at 7:40. Conductor: Corrine Wetherbee
Are you an awesome mom, dad, neighbor who’s already biking to school with your child/fave neighborhood kid? Maybe none of the above bike trains are convenient? Start your own train. Invite a friend, classmate, neighborhood kid to join you, read our bike train conductor training manual and BAM! you have yourself a bike train.
Learn more about what it means to be a bike train conductor HERE.
Please register your new bike train HERE because more bike trains = more better.
We are also looking for extra volunteers to help keep the kids safe, count bikes at school and dish up highfives. Please get involved HERE.
Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org