After School Bike Club Instructor
Norte is seeking Bike Club Coaches to join Team Orange. Formerly know as The Bike Más Project, Norte’s After School Bike Club teaches 4th – 7th grade students bike handling skills and bike safety by riding bikes and seeking fun and adventure on neighborhood streets and trails. This coach will run Norte’s seasonal bike safety and adventure program across the Grand Traverse region. This position requires a genuine enthusiasm for Norte’s mission and a passion for helping youth grow and succeed
The ideal candidate for Bike Club coach will be passionate about happy, healthy, strong communities, and active-for-life kids. This position is seasonal, May – June, and will report to Norte’s Program Director.
- Reports to: Program Director
- Supervises: Assistant Coach
Coaches work with the rest of Norte’s remarkable team, which includes full-time, part-time, and seasonal staff, and the board of directors. This position will develop and strengthen external relationships with community members, such as partners, donors, volunteers, and the general public—chief among them being our young riders’ parents.
- Lead Norte’s seasonal after school bike adventure club as detailed in the Coach’s Manual.
- Come to work ready to model happy, healthy, strong to our young riders.
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE
- The kids have fun while exploring and learning bike safety skills.
- The kids are kept safe at all times on neighborhood trails and streets.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Exhibit a passion for bicycles and professionalism, with superior social skills and an ability to engage, encourage, and communicate with youth participants and their families.
- Demonstrate experienced cycling skills and be knowledgeable about urban riding skills, local bike routes, and basic bicycle repair.
- Practical and effective problem-solving skills and creativity to make any situation a fun learning experience.
- The desire to learn and grow professionally.
- Frequently ride 8-14 miles on streets and trails while continually looking over your shoulder.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
The After School Bike Club Coach is a part-time, temporary (four months or less) position exempt from the minimum wage and overtime requirements. Wage is paid $20/hour. Bike Clubs meet once a week from early May through early June for 4 weeks. Direct deposit payments will be made every two weeks.
Benefits: Paid training, phone stipend, flexible summer schedule.
Hours: Vary by location, but generally after school for 90 minutes per session.
A typical bike club session consists of riding bikes with your team of 5 kids and a volunteer assistant coach. You’ll help your group of young riders have fun and learn bike safety skills while finding adventure in several communities. Norte offers this program throughout the Traverse City area, Elk Rapids, Northport, Suttons Bay, and Kalkaska. Riding bikes to parks, playgrounds, and other areas of interest while instructing and demonstrating the rules of the road and improving navigation. Finding ways to engage the bike campers with outdoor games, educational interpretations of our environment, and informative bike mechanic fixes add variety and memories to the day. Supervision of bike club riders, including pick up by their adult, is required, as are weekly recap emails to participant families.
How to Apply
Write a compelling cover letter and submit it along with a resume to Ben Boyce at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Bike Club Coach” in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until positions are filled.
The ideal candidate would start employment in June 2021 and run at least four camps during the summer.
Norte is an equal opportunity and an at-will employer. The above position description describes the position currently available and is not intended to be an employment contract. Norte reserves the right to modify the duties or position description at any time. This position is located in either Kalkaska, Suttons Bay, Traverse City, Northport, or Elk Rapids and is considered to be non-exempt.