Young Bobcats learning to move and be physically active as part of ordinary life – like going to school! – will inspire their parents, teachers, principals, neighbors to do the same. In our opinion, it’s a powerful path to sustainable well-living and community healthfulness in Traverse City.
Independent, happy, confident, ready to learn youth are empowered to be guardians of their health, develop lifelong habits to move more and sit less and be leaders in their community.
Norte administers Safe Routes To School programs across the Traverse City area as well as in Northport and Elk Rapids. Our programs, projects, and events are dedicated to empowering students of all ages to be active for life.
- The Bike Más Project: After school, adventure-based bike safety program for upper elementary students
- Estrellas: An in-school, learn to ride program for preschoolers using balance bikes
- Fridays Fantásticos: A weekly celebration of students walking, biking and rolling to school.
- The Great Bike Train Experiment: A network of adult-led bike train connecting neighborhoods to neighborhood schools or bus stops.
- Winter Walk Wednesdays: A #StepItUp inspired celebration of people – big or small – walking to work, school or just for FUN!
- Park & Stroll: Drive as usual but park in a designated area that’s nearby the school and then walk 5-10 minutes on a safe route with your child.
- Bike 2 Bus: Pop-up bike racks at select neighborhood bus stops to bike, park, and bus to school.
- Northern Michigan Bikes to School Day: 2nd Wednesday in May for National Bike to School Day.
- Northern Michigan Walks to School Day: 1st Wednesday in October for National Walk to School Day.
- Winter Bike To Work and School Day: 2nd Friday in February for International Winter Bike To Work and School Day
- Safe Routes To School Hero Awards: Last week of school to celebrate walk/bike to school rockstars
Park&Stroll and Bike2Bus locations: