Young Super Stars learning to move and be physically active as part of ordinary life – like going to school! – and then inspiring their parents, teachers, principals, neighbors to do the same is, in our opinion, a powerful means to sustainable community health.
Independent, happy, confident, ready to learn youth are empowered to be guardians of their health, develop lifelong habits to move more and sit less and be leaders in their community.
Norte administers Safe Routes To School programs across the Traverse City area as well as in Northport and Elk Rapids. Our programs, projects, and events are dedicated to empowering students of all ages to be active for life.
- The Bike Mas Project: After school, adventure-based bike safety program for upper elementary students
- Estrellas: An in-school, learn to ride program for preschoolers using balance bikes
- Fridays Fantásticos: A weekly celebration of students walking, biking and rolling to school.
- The Great Bike Train Experiment: A network of adult-led bike train connecting neighborhoods to neighborhood schools or bus stops.
- Winter Walk Wednesdays: A #StepItUp inspired celebration of people – big or small – walking to work, school or just for FUN!
- Park & Stroll: Drive as usual but park in a designated area that’s nearby the school and then walk 5-10 minutes on a safe route with your child.
- Bike 2 Bus: Pop-up bike racks at select neighborhood bus stops to bike, park, and bus to school.
- Northern Michigan Bikes to School Day: 2nd Wednesday in May for National Bike to School Day.
- Northern Michigan Walks to School Day: 1st Wednesday in October for National Walk to School Day.
- Winter Bike To Work and School Day: 2nd Friday in February for International Winter Bike To Work and School Day
- Safe Routes To School Hero Awards: Last week of school to celebrate walk/bike to school rockstars
The Zephyr connects the Oak Park neighborhood to Central Grade Elementary. The Zephyr leaves its station at F&M Park at 7:40.
The Zephyr rolls down Washington Street on the Cross-Town TART Bike Route to Cass to 7th to school.
Roughly a 1.5 mile ride.
The Zephyr is currently looking for a conductor. If interested in helping please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Central Grade Coastal Classic
The Central Grade Coastal Classic connects Old Town Neighborhood to Central Grade School.
The Coastal Classic leaves from its Station at Oryana (corner of Lake/10th) at 7:40. With a nod to the semi-luxurious Alaskan passenger train, this bike train enjoys a lovely ride through Central neighborhood to school.
About a 1 mile ride.
The Coastal Classic is currently looking for a conductor. If interested in helping please email email@example.com
The Central Grade Limited
The Central Grade Limited connects the North Central Neighborhood to Central Grade School.
The Limited departs from its Station at the corner of Maple and 5th at 7:45. With a nod to Amtrak’s Capitol Limited, this bike train enjoys a short but sweet ride down 6th to Pine to Central Grade School.
About a .5 mile ride.
The Limited is currently looking for a conductor. If interested in helping please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Bike to Bus locations:
Park & Stroll locations:
Passionate about kids getting themselves to Silver Lake? Get involved!