Young Mercury learning to move and be physically active as part of ordinary life – like going to school! – and then inspiring their parents, teachers, principals, neighbors to do the same is, in our opinion, a powerful means to sustainable well-living and community healthfulness in Traverse City.
Independent, happy, confident, ready to learn youth are empowered to be guardians of their health, develop lifelong habits to move more and sit less and be leaders in their community.
Norte administers Safe Routes To School programs across the Traverse City area as well as in Northport and Elk Rapids. Our programs, projects, and events are dedicated to empowering students of all ages to be active for life.
- The Bike Mas Project: After school, adventure-based bike safety program for upper elementary students
- Estrellas: An in-school, learn to ride program for preschoolers using balance bikes
- Fridays Fantásticos: A weekly celebration of students walking, biking and rolling to school.
- The Great Bike Train Experiment: A network of adult-led bike train connecting neighborhoods to neighborhood schools or bus stops.
- Winter Walk Wednesdays: A #StepItUp inspired celebration of people – big or small – walking to work, school or just for FUN!
- Park & Stroll: Drive as usual but park in a designated area that’s nearby the school and then walk 5-10 minutes on a safe route with your child.
- Northern Michigan Bikes to School Day: 2nd Wednesday in May for National Bike to School Day.
- Northern Michigan Walks to School Day: 1st Wednesday in October for National Walk to School Day.
- Winter Bike To Work and School Day: 2nd Friday in February for International Winter Bike To Work and School Day
- Safe Routes To School Hero Awards: Last week of school to celebrate walk/bike to school rockstars
The TCAPS Montessori Meteor connects the north Central Neighborhood to TCAPS Montessori.
The Meteor departs at 7:50 from its Station in the alley between 5th and 6th Street behind Ashlea Walter’s and Judy Arnold’s house (612 6th Street). The Meteor enjoys a lovely ride down Maple to 12th to Oak Street to TCAPS Montessori.
About a 1 km ride.
The TCAPS Montessori Morning Star connects the Oak Park neighborhood to TCAPS Montessori School.
The Morning Star departs from its Station at the Copy Shop lot (Woodmere/8th) on the TART at 7:45.
Riders of The Morning Star can expect one of the most amazing routes ever: a lovely cruise on the TART trail, over the Boardman Lake bridge, up Oryana hill, down Lake to 12th to school.
Roughly a 3km ride.
The TCAPS Montessori Falcon
The Montessori Falcon connects the Old Town neighborhood to TCAPS Montessori.
With inspiration from Hans Solo’s super awesome Millennium Falcon, the Montessori Falcon departs from its Station at Oryana at 7:50. It travels down Lake Street to 12th to Wadsworth to school.
About a 1 km ride.
Park & Stroll: