The proof is in – getting active to start your day makes you happier, healthier and ready to learn. And, it’s lots more fun, too. Norte and Willow Hill have teamed up to help you get moving. Together we will see more kids walking and biking to start their day.
LIVE WITHIN ONE MILE OF WILLOW HILL?
You can also hop on a neighborhood bike train! See the schedule HERE
LIVE MORE THAN A MILE FROM WILLOW HILL?
- Park & Stroll! Drive. Park. Walk 5-10 minutes with your mom or dad. Suggested locations and routes HERE
- Walk-2-Bus! Have a safe route to walk from your home to your bus stop? Walking is cool.
- Bike-2-Bus! Have a safe route to bike from your home to your bus stop and need a rack to lock up to? We have pop-up bike racks to loan out.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What if we can’t commit to carline-free every day? Start with just one day a week. That’s what Fridays Fantasticos is all about.
We don’t have a bike, can you help? You betcha. Norte’s bike library has bicycles to loan out. For free.
My child doesn’t know how to bike safely on neighborhood streets? No problem. Norte’s after- school bike safety program (offered in the spring & fall) can help.
My bike isn’t working, can you help me learn how to fix it? No problem. Take one of Norte’s bike mechanics class to learn how to fix it all yourself.
What about winter? And snow? A bit more challenging for sure but give Winter Walk Wednesdays a try. It’s a weekly celebration where we dress intelligently and embrace our snowiest months on the way to school from home or a Park & Stroll location.
WALK/BIKE PROGRAMS AND EVENTS AT WILLOW HILL:
- The Bike Mas Project: An adventure-based after-school empowerment program for upper elementary and middle school students. (4-week program in both spring and fall)
- Estrellas: A learn-to-ride program for preschoolers using balance bikes. (4-week indoor in the gym during the winter)
- Fridays Fantásticos: A weekly celebration of students walking, biking and rolling to school.
- The Great Northern Michigan Bike Train Experiment: A community-wide network of adult-led bike trains connecting schools in northern Michigan.
- Winter Walk Wednesdays: A #StepItUp inspired celebration of people – big or small – walking to work, school or just for FUN! in Northern Michigan.
- Park & Stroll: For those students who attend a school of choice or live too far away from their home school. Drive. Park. Walk 5 minutes to school. Easy.
- Bike2Bus: Portable bike racks at neighborhood bus stops and mapping of safe routes to these racks to encourage “biking to bus”.
- Grand Traverse Kids Bike Library: Ensuring that awesome kids have awesome bikes to pedal to school no matter their family’s resources.
- Northern Michigan Bikes to School Day: 2nd Wednesday in May for National Bike to School Day.
- Northern Michigan Walks to School Day: 1st Wednesday in October for National Walk to School Day.
- Winter Bike To Work and School Day: 2nd Friday in February for International Winter Bike To Work and School Day
- Walk/Bike To School Hero Awards: Last week of school to celebrate walk/bike to school rockstars
Young Stars learning to move and be physically active as part of ordinary life – like going to school! – and then inspiring their parents, teachers, principals, neighbors to do the same is a powerful means to sustainable well-living and community health in the Grand Traverse region.
PASSIONATE ABOUT KIDS GETTING THEMSELVES TO WILLOW HILL? GET INVOLVED!