The Solution: A Learn-to-Wrench Community Project
The Solution is a new community-wide bike mechanics education initiative dedicated to empowering people of all ages and abilities to learn the skills that help promote self-assurance, confidence, creativity and lifelong bike independence. We believe that understanding basic bicycle maintenance and repair is a lifelong skill that gives the young and young at heart the knowledge and confidence to ride more, venture further and embrace a happy, healthy lifestyle.
This learn-to-wrench community project is made up of five programs:
- A series of structured educational classes for people of all ages and skill levels.
- Learn more and sign up for a class HERE.
Solution at School:
- An in-school pilot program that teaches 6-7th graders basic bike repair skills in an engaging, hands-on manner at area middle schools. This program also does good in the community as students will be working on Norte’s Bike Library bicycles which will be loaned out to local kids in need.
- Details of the Solution at School HERE.
Solution Summertime Meet-ups:
- El Barrio Bike Fix is a free, weekly summertime community meet-up in La Plaza, the lush green space next to the Clubhouse, where we get our hands dirty, turn wrenches and learn basic bike repair and maintenance skills from our professional bike mechanics and volunteers.
- More info HERE.
Solution in the Community:
- Pop-up Ding, Wave and Wrench events around town like this we did in 2015.
Solution in Local Bike Shops:
- Bike mechanic apprenticeship program for high school students to prepare them for a dream job at local bike shops.