Smoothies For The Wheelhouse
We’re busting out the bike blender to whip up some delicious, pedal powered smoothies from 4-7pm to help fund the new Wheelhouse.
For the past year, Norte has loved calling the Civic Center home, but thanks to explosive growth, we need more room! The Clubhouse is bursting at the seams.
In partnership with Grand Traverse County Parks & Recreation, The Norte Wheelhouse will transform the long-neglected historic Old Northwest Michigan Fairgrounds building at the Civic Center into a new community space for learning.
Like other learning centers, the new Wheelhouse will teach and reinforce bike education through a variety of programs as well as independent and self-directed learning activities and will be home to:
1) The Traverse City Community Bike Shop: Sharing tools, benches, bikes, and knowledge with the public so they can repair and maintain their bikes.
2) The Grand Traverse Kids’ Bike Library: Ensuring awesome kids have awesome bikes no matter their family’s resources.
3) El Barrio Bike Fix: A weekly summertime community bike fix where we fix, create, tweak, align, repair, maintain and adjust bicycles together.
4) La Solucion: A bike mechanic apprenticeship program that trains local high schoolers to become employable at local bike shops.
5) The Civic Center Traffic Garden: A future Safe Routes To School project to allow elementary students to learn bike safety skills in a safe setting.
While we are very excited about sinking our roots deeper at the Civic Center and renovating this long forgotten, historic building, it also needs work. Lots of work.
The County is helping to repair the roof, tear down the concrete block structure on the east side and prepare the building for some very orange paint.
Our community-driven “Keep It Rolling” crowdfunding campaign aims to make the Wheelhouse a reality this summer.
Your generosity will help create a safe, dynamic and welcoming community space including:
a new bay door on the east side
paint inside and out
new rad patio on the east side
tables, chairs and workbenches
tools, supplies and parts for the shop
additional bikes and helmets for the bike library
a super sweet mural
scholarships for La Solucion
The Wheelhouse will allow Norte to do better – to reach our bike-loving arms wider to not only physically transform a very visible corner in Traverse City but to help weave a culture of health into our community so we can be our best – our healthiest.
Please support the Wheelhouse by stopping by for a yummy smoothie on Friday, July 13th.
Can’t make it that day? You can donate here: elgruponorte.org/wheelhouse
All donors, whether it’s a $10 or $1,000 gift, will be invited to a pre grand opening celebration later this summer.