Bike Night at The Bijou
We love riding bikes, and we love love love The Bijou theater.
We are therefore stoked — I repeat, STOKED — to announce the third annual Bike Night At The Bijou on Thursday, October 24th at 6:00pm to see the awesome MOTHERLOAD documentary.
- celebrate the growing presence of people on bicycles in the Grand Traverse region
- smash the record for most bicycles at The Bijou (!!!)
- raise funds for our Big Orange Promise campaign — empowering more kids, and those who love them , to be active for life.
It’s going to be awesome. You should come!
When? Thursday, October 24th. Doors at 5:30. Film at 6pm.
- Special drink and food deals at The Workshop Brewing Co. before the movie
- A free membership to the Clubhouse, our community bike shop
- Bike valet service
- As many free high fives as you can handle
Is there a pre-party? You betcha. A super awesome and equally bike-tastic pre-party starts at 4:30pm at Workshop Brewing Company, with special food and drink deals for ticket holders.
What are we watching? Searching for freedom and connection in a gas-powered, digital and divided world, MOTHERLOAD is a crowdsourced documentary about a new mother’s quest to understand the increasing isolation and disconnection of the digital age, its planetary impact, and how cargo bikes could be an antidote.
Filmmaker Liz Canning cycled everywhere until she had twins in 2008. Hauling babies via car was not only unsustainable but took the freedom and adventure out of life, and Liz felt trapped. She Googled “family bike” and uncovered a global movement of people replacing cars with cargo bikes: long-frame bicycles designed for carrying passengers and heavy loads. Liz set out to learn more, and MOTHERLOAD was born.
Following a raucous standing ovation for a MOTHERLOAD preview at the League of American Bicyclists’ National Summit, the film made its official world premiere May 4th 2019.
Thank you to our Bike Night Sponsors!