Norte AmeriCorps VISTA
Norte is seeking an AmeriCorps VISTA to join our team. The ideal candidate will be passionate about happy, healthy, strong communities and active–for–life kids. This position is full-time, year-round, and will report to the Director of Operations.
The United Way of NWMI coordinates this VISTA program, and six positions are available. They will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis. The start date would be either April 12 or May 10. The Norte VISTA supports a wide range of programming, outreach, and advocacy activities to further Norte’s mission of building happy, healthy, strong communities. Strong communication skills are essential to help Team Orange transform the culture of health in the Grand Traverse region.
Norte’s VISTA will report to the Director of Operations. They will also work closely with all of our teams: communications, programs, outreach, and development. This position will develop and strengthen external relationships with community members, such as partners, donors, volunteers, and the general public.
Program coordination and implementation:
- Grand Traverse Regional Kids’ Bike Library
- Community Bike Shop and the Grand Traverse County Civic Center
- Essential Transportation program
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE
Success at Norte means:
- Responsibilities and tasks are completed on time and thoroughly.
- Written communication is clear, concise, professional, and free from error.
- Systems and procedures are adhered to, and ways to improve them pursued when appropriate.
- Recognition that our work is a team effort. We work to develop a sense of belonging, acceptance, and support.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
At least two years of relevant work experience.
- Extremely detail-oriented with strong organization skills
- Excellent prioritization abilities
- Exhibit excellent time management skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Exhibit professionalism, with superior social and interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Effective problem-solving skills
- Proficient in the use of Google G Suite
- Able to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
- Desire to learn and grow professionally
- Daily computer work
- Occasional light lifting
- Occasional bicycle riding
VISTA members receive a living allowance of $513.64 every two weeks. Twenty days of paid time off. If eligible and applicable, they may also receive direct child care payments, health insurance, a $3000 cash award, or a $6,195 educational award that may be used for future tuition or current student loans. Generous health savings account type program is also available, providing up to $6000 for health costs not covered by insurance.
WHAT WILL A TYPICAL DAY LOOK LIKE?
A typical day will consist of working along with eight other awesome people in Norte’s business casual environment either at our Grand Traverse County Civic Center headquarters or off-site office. The day will consist of working independently and with the team on community service, program, and outreach duties. Remote work is also part of the job.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates should review the history, background, benefits, and service application at vistacampus.gov.
When ready, write a compelling cover letter and submit it along with a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “VISTA” in the subject line.
Vista applications accepted until
- 5 pm EST on March 15, 2021, for the April 12 start date.
- 5 pm EST on April 15, 2021, for the May 10 start date.
Norte is an equal opportunity and at-will employer. The above position description describes the position currently available and is not intended to be an employment contract. Norte reserves the right to modify the duties or position description at any time. This position is located in Traverse City and is considered to be non-exempt.