Northern Michigan Walks To School Day
With generous support from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, TBA Credit Union, Traverse City Track Club, Oryana Community Co-op, Norte is excited to once again host Northern Michigan Walks To School Day, a community-wide, multi-school celebration of National Walk To School Day on Wednesday, October 2, 2019
Nearly 1100 students from across Northern Michigan walked to school last year. Can we do better than that in 2019?
We will also be crowning The Most Walk-tastic Northern Michigan School! That’s a big, big deal. Traverse Heights in Traverse City “won” last year. Help your school win the 2019 title by committing here:
Everyone is welcome – Pre K to 8th grade as well as teachers, staff, and principals too.
If you live too far from home, drive to one of our “Park & Stroll” locations below.
A 5-10 minute walk to your bus stop totally counts too.
Don’t get us wrong, we LOVE bikes but we enjoy walks to school too:
- Walking to school is known to improve academic performance
- Walking to school gives children good life experience
- Walking to school gets children outdoors
- Walking to school provides daily exercise for children
So set those alarms a little earlier on October 2nd, eat a solid breakfast, invite a friend or 6, strap your backpack on and join us.
- Central Grade
- Cherry Knoll
- Cherryland Middle School – Elk Rapids
- Courtade Elementary
- Eastern Elementary
- East Middle
- Grand Traverse Academy
- Immaculate Conception
- Kalkaska – Birch and Cherry Street
- Lakeland Elementary – Elk Rapids
- Long Lake Elementary
- Northport Public School
- Oak Park School
- Old Mission Peninsula School
- Pathfinder School
- Silver Lake Elementary
- Suttons Bay Public Schools
- TCAPS Montessori
- Traverse Heights Elementary
- Trinity Lutheran
- West Middle
- Westwoods Elementary
- Willow Hill Elementary
- Woodland School
Don’t see your school? Sign it up HERE.
Live too far from school to walk or maybe your school isn’t yet safe to walk to? No worries. You can still play.
- Our Park & Stroll locations offer designated places to park and then walk 5-10 minutes to school with your child. Have an idea where a convenient, safe location and route could be. Let us know HERE.
- Organize a short walk before the bell rings on campus like Cherryland Middle School in Elk Rapids.
2019 Walking School Bus Schedule coming soon!
- Thirlby Stadium: 13th and Pine: Meet at 7:35, walking at 7:40. Bus driver – TBD
- Oryana: 10th/Lake: Meet at 7:35, walking at 7:40. Bus driver – Laura Otwell
- Open Space: Parkway and Union: Meet at 7:35, walking at 7:40. Bus driver – Carrie Smith
Cherryland Middle School:
- Walk the track at school: 7:30-7:48. Bus driver – Ann DeVogel
Cherry Knoll Elementary:
- Walk on the track at school: At the bell. Bus driver – Mrs. Derks
- Walk on the track at school: At the bell. Bus driver – Mrs. Fetters
- Norte Wheelhouse: Meet at 8:25, walk at 8:30. Bus driver – Emily Buchholz
- Clancy Park: Meet at 8:30. Walking at 8:35. Bus driver – Rebecca Sketch
- East Bay Park: Meet at 8:25, walk at 8:30. Bus driver – Beth Holmes-Bozung
- 10th/Lake: Oryana: Meet at 7:35, walking at 7:40. Bus driver – Kaitlyn Burns
- Division/14th: Tom’s: Meet at 7:40, walking at 7:55. Bus driver – Sarah Bourquin
- Darrow Park: Meet at 7:20, walking at 7:30. Bus driver – Christi Nowak
- Cherry Street School: Kaliseum: Meet at XXX, walking at XXX. Bus driver – TBD
- Birch Street School: Kalkaska Memorial Health Center: Meet at XXX, walking at XXX. Bus driver – TBD
- Middle School: Kaliseum: Meet at XXX, walking at XXX. Bus driver – TBD
Elk Rapids Lakeland Elementary:
- River Walk Grill: Meet at 8:15, walking at 8:20. Bus driver – TBD
- Elk Rapids Apartments: Meet at 7:50, walking at 7:55. Bus driver – Stephen McDonald
- Corner of 2nd and Pine: Meet at 8:00, walking at 8:05. Bus driver – David West
- Marina: Meet at 7:35, walking at 7:40. Bus driver – Corrine Wetherbee
Old Mission Peninsula School:
- Front of our driveway on Island View Road: Meet at at 8:00, walking at 8:15. Bus Driver – Dena Schweitzer
- Marina: Meet at XXX, walking at XXX. Bus driver – TBD
- Jupiter Park: Boyd at Rose Street: Meet at 8:05, walking at 8:10. Bus driver – Stephanie and Josh Wilson.
- 10th/Lake: Oryana: Meet at 7:35, walking at 7:40. Bus driver – TBD
- Grand Traverse Commons barns: TBD
- Meijer: TBD
- YMCA: TBD
- 1122 Fisher Road. Meet at 8:15, walking at 8:20. Bus driver – Juli Tiesworth
- Darrow Park: Meet at 8:20, walking at 8:25. Bus Driver – Principal Sides-Mackay
- Meet and park at Mrs.D’s lot on Island lake at 7:40, strolling At 7:45. Bus Driver – Amanda DeBruyn.
Don’t forget to commit!
Our friends at Oryana will be generously providing healthy snacks at their “bus stop” for TCAPS Montessori, Trinity Lutheran and Central Grade students.
The Traverse City Police Department will also be walking to school with us. How awesome is that?
We are looking for extra volunteers to help keep the kids safe, count walkers at school and hand out highfives. Please sign up HERE.
Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you, Sponsors!
Thank you, Community Partners!