The Norte Wheelhouse: A Grand Traverse Learning Center
For the past year, Norte has loved calling the Civic Center home, but thanks to explosive growth, we need more room! The Clubhouse is bursting at the seams.
In partnership with Grand Traverse County Parks & Recreation, we transformed a long-neglected historic Old Northwest Michigan Fairgrounds building at the Civic Center into a new community space for learning.
Like other learning centers, the new Wheelhouse teaches and reinforces bike education through a variety of programs as well as independent and self-directed learning activities and will be home to:
2) The Grand Traverse Kids’ Bike Library: Ensuring awesome kids have awesome bikes no matter their family’s resources.
4) The Civic Center Traffic Garden: A future Safe Routes To School project to allow elementary students to learn bike safety skills in a safe setting.
Our community-driven “Keep It Rolling” crowdfunding campaign helped make the Wheelhouse a reality this summer.
Your generosity will help create a safe, dynamic and welcoming community space including:
- new bay doors on both the east and west sides
- new floor
- paint inside and out
- bike racks
- new rad patio on the east side
- tables, chairs, and workbenches
- tools, supplies, and parts for the shop
- additional bikes and helmets for the bike library
- a super sweet mural
- scholarships for La Solucion
The Wheelhouse will allow Norte to do better – to reach our bike-loving arms wider to not only physically transform a very visible corner in Traverse City but to help weave a culture of health into our community so we can be our best – our healthiest.
Please support the Wheelhouse today and join the list of awesome people who believe in happy, healthy, ready to learn kids.
No yet a Wheelhouse supporter? You should be 😉
Huge thank you to our Wheelhouse community partners!
Limited corporate sponsorships of the Wheelhouse are also available. Please contact Ty Schmidt at firstname.lastname@example.org