What We Do
We are Traverse City’s bike-centric, youth-focused 501c3 advocacy organization.
Our mission is to help build a stronger, better connected and more bike-friendly Traverse City by inspiring the young and young at heart through bicycles.
We are developing the next generation of happy, healthy, strong through our Safe Routes To School, Walk/Bike Advocacy, mountain bike, youth empowerment and winter programming.
Empowering elementary and middle school students to actively transport themselves to school:
- Fridays Fantástico – A weekly celebration of students walking, biking and rolling to school.
- The Great Traverse City Bike Train Experiment – A community-wide network of adult led bike train connecting Traverse City neighborhoods to neighborhood schools.
- Estrellas – A learn-to-ride program for preschoolers using balance bikes.
- Safe Routes To School Champions – Empowering passionate parents to advocate for active, happy, ready-to-learn kids at their school.
- Park & Stroll – For those students who attend a school of choice or live too far away from their home school. Drive. Park. Walk 5 minutes to school. Easy.
- Bike2Bus – Portable bike racks at neighborhood bus stops and mapping of safe routes to these racks to encourage “biking to bus”.
- Norte! Bike Library – Ensuring that awesome kids have awesome bikes to pedal to school no matter their family’s resources.
Advocating for more people on bicycles in Traverse City:
- TC Rides – Weekly community slow ride to promote an active lifestyle and create awareness for people on bikes in Traverse City.
- TC Bike Valet – Provides professional bike parking services at the Sara Hardy Farmers Market, National Cherry Festival, Traverse City Film Festival and other community events.
- El Barrio Bike Fix – A bike-powered, mobile bike shop and pizza fueled community bike fix event at the Clubhouse.
- TC Bike Month – May is for bikes in Traverse City.
- The Clubhouse – Norte!’s home at the Civic Center that also houses Traverse City’s community bike shop.
- Bike Night at The Bijou – Yay for mucho bicycles at our bike-tastic community theater.
- TC Bike Life – A story series featuring ordinary people doing ordinary things on their bicycles that aims to create awareness for the growing presence of people on bicycles in Traverse City.
- Bike Happy Pop-ups – Free coffee and bike tune ups. High fives, too.
- La Fiesta – Annual celebration of people on bicycles in Traverse City.
- Pro walk/Pro bike Advocacy Grupo – Connecting awesome people passionate about best practice walk/bike infrastructure, forward thinking policy and smart community design for a more walkable, bikeable, livable Traverse City.
Building confidence and independence by way of adventures in our Northern Michigan forests:
- Vasa Domingos – Weekly shred on the Vasa. Mother’s Day to Iceman. Sundays. Noon.
- Fridays@TheCommons – Weekly ride on the Grand Traverse Commons trails. Summer. Friday evenings. 6.
- Chicas del Norte! – A grrrrrls! on bikes empowerment program.
- Norte! Racing Team – Dedicated to developing the next generation of fit, fast and positive bike racers in Traverse City.
- Traverse City Takes a Kid Mountain Biking – First Saturday in October.
Happy, healthy, strong young people being awesome.
- The Bike Mas Project – An adventure-based after school and summer camp building confidence, promoting independence and teaching bike safety program for upper elementary students.
- El Liderato – A youth leadership council empowering young people to speak up, get involved and do good in their community.
- La Solución – A learn-to-wrench after school program for middle school students.
Winter in Traverse City is for embracing. Not complaining about 😉
- Winter Walk Wednesdays – A weekly celebration of people walking to work, school or just for fun during Traverse City’s coldest months.
- The Great Traverse City Shovel Experiment – Crowdsourced project to keep our neighborhood curb cuts and bridges clear to keep Traverse City’s sidewalks walkable/rollable all winter.
- TC Bike Plow – Bike-powered snow clearing initiative keeping neighborhood sidewalks and trails awesome.
- Winter Bike To Work + School Day – Riding your bike to work and school during the winter is a thing here in Traverse City. We inspired the world last year and we’re going to do it again in 2017.
- Christmas Tree by Bike – Bike-powered delivery of your Christmas tree to the City’s recycling drop site at Hull Park.
- Winter Bike Share – Traverse City’s small-scale, neighborhood-based, winter-only Bike Share project.