Norte! is Traverse City’s bike-centric, youth-focused 501c3 advocacy organization.
Norte!’s mission is to help build a stronger, better connected and more bike-friendly Traverse City by inspiring its young people through bicycles.
Norte! is developing the next generation of active, happy, bikes-for-life leaders through its Safe Routes To School, #BikeTVC and mountain bike programming.
Safe Routes To School
Empowering elementary and middle school students to actively transport themselves to school:
- Fridays Fantástico: A weekly celebration of students walking, biking and rolling to school.
- The Great Traverse City Bike Train Experiment: A community-wide network of adult led bike train connecting Traverse City neighborhoods to neighborhood schools.
- The Bike Mas Project: An adventure-based after school empowerment program for upper elementary students.
- El Barrio Bike Fix: A learn-to-wrench after school program for upper elementary students.
- Estrellas: A learn-to-ride program for preschoolers using balance bikes.
- Winter Walk Wednesdays: A #StepItUp inspired celebration of people – big or small – walking to work, school or just for FUN! in Traverse City.
- Park & Stroll: For those students who attend a school of choice or live too far away from their home school. Drive. Park. Walk 5 minutes to school. Easy.
- Bike2Bus: Portable bike racks at neighborhood bus stops and mapping of safe routes to these racks to encourage “biking to bus”.
- Norte! Bike Library: Ensuring that awesome kids have awesome bikes to pedal to school no matter their family’s resources.
Advocating for more people on bicycles in Traverse City:
- TC Rides is a weekly community slow ride to promote an active lifestyle and create awareness for people on bikes in Traverse City.
- TC Bike Valet – Provides professional bike parking services at the Sara Hardy Farmers Market, National Cherry Festival, Traverse City Film Festival and other community events.
- TC Bike Month – May is for bikes in Traverse City
- Bike Night at The Bijou – Yay for mucho bicycles at our bike-tastic community theater.
- Bike Happy Pop-ups – Free coffee and bike tune ups. High fives, too.
- La Fiesta – Annual celebration of people on bicycles in Traverse City.
Building confidence and independence by way of adventures in our Northern Michigan forests:
- Vasa Domingos – Weekly shred on the Vasa. Mother’s Day to Iceman. Sundays. Noon.
- Fridays@TheCommons – Weekly ride on the Grand Traverse Commons trails. Summer. Friday evenings. 6.
- Chicas del Norte! – A grrrrrls! on bikes empowerment program.
- Norte! Racing – Dedicated to developing the next generation of fit, fast and positive bike racers in Traverse City.